Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
And the bus terminal is already 2s - would it even make sense to build a multi-story one and having to deal with the circulation issues even if they could go taller? I doubt it.

Oh and the new Architectural Plans suggests that the bus terminal will be clad in white coloured glass. Not like that's a surprise but nice to see it stated in the plans.

AoD

The thinking is that they can only spend so much on a new bus terminal, (and only build it so high before it imposes itself on the 18 Yonge condo next door), that they'll end up with a 14-bay terminal here. By the time it opens in a few years, GO expects it may need all 14 bays. Give it another several years when GO RER is in place with two-way all-day service on all or most lines, far fewer bays will be needed for GO buses. That's when the intercity coaches can move down to the new terminal.

Operative term highlighted.

2023 / 2024 is when GO RER is scheduled to come online.

Off peak buses should begin to be reduced significantly before the terminal even opens however. By the end of 2017 Barrie and Stouffville will have hourly off peak service and thus won't be using buses any longer. Kitchener will have off peak by the end of this year.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if the Intercity Coaches can move in opening day.

2023 / 2024 is when GO RER is scheduled to come online.

Off peak buses should begin to be reduced significantly before the terminal even opens however. By the end of 2017 Barrie and Stouffville will have hourly off peak service and thus won't be using buses any longer. Kitchener will have off peak by the end of this year.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if the Intercity Coaches can move in opening day.

Stouffville will still need buses on the weekend until 2019 and presumably for late night and early morning service afterwards since "hourly" seems to only be 9 trains in each direction. That being said, this shouldn't interfere with that many coach bus routes.

The trick will always be the rush hour demand. As long as GO's rush hour buses can be accommodated on fewer than the full 14 bays, they can begin to offer space at the new terminal to private coach companies.

yup, and the "rush" period for GO at the terminal right now from my understanding are the hours directly around the rush hours, 9-11am, 1-4pm, and 7-9pm. Those trips will be covered by the new train services planned in 2017, and thus peak demand for bus terminal use will lower significantly.

yup, and the "rush" period for GO at the terminal right now from my understanding are the hours directly around the rush hours, 9-11am, 1-4pm, and 7-9pm. Those trips will be covered by the new train services planned in 2017, and thus peak demand for bus terminal use will lower significantly.
But then again, there are several GO routes that go into Yorkdale, York Mills, and even Square One due to the fact that Union cannot handle any additional routes. Regardless of RER, I think GO buses will end up using around 2/3 of the available bus bays. I'd say if they end up using at least 8-9 bays, there wouldn't be adequate capacity to explore moving the Toronto Coach Terminal over to Union.

As train service to Barrie increases I think ONTC and Metrolinx should be pushed to interline with each other to reduce the number of buses coming down 400 into downtown. The ideal would be that ONTC would then stage additional routes north of the Barrie railhead rather than running 200km into and out of downtown. The question is though whether the ONTC services that continue to run could relocate to the GO terminal and then 81 Bay without the private lines complaining at not getting a chance to move there too.

The thinking is that they can only spend so much on a new bus terminal, (and only build it so high before it imposes itself on the 18 Yonge condo next door), that they'll end up with a 14-bay terminal here. By the time it opens in a few years, GO expects it may need all 14 bays. Give it another several years when GO RER is in place with two-way all-day service on all or most lines, far fewer bays will be needed for GO buses. That's when the intercity coaches can move down to the new terminal.

Ah, nice to hear we will be standing in an open garage with the pigeons for many years to come.

Ah, the fore site of city officials. Amazing if this ends up being the case, considering all the transit funding from the Feds and Mcwynny and her transit tax plan.

From the upcoming July Heritage Preservation Board meeting:

This report will recommend that City Council state its intention to designate the property at 1 Front Street West containing the Dominion Public Building under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act following its transfer from federal government ownership and grant authority for a Heritage Easement Agreement between the City and the new owner.

This report will be made available prior to the July 28, 2015, meeting of the Toronto Preservation Board.

Item: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.PB6.5

AoD

Wait, so does that mean that the Dominion Public Building was sold to Ivanhoe Cambridge? Is it a leaseback arrangement with the Feds? Or is there going to be a new tenant? Anyone know anything about this?

Wait, so does that mean that the Dominion Public Building was sold to Ivanhoe Cambridge? Is it a leaseback arrangement with the Feds? Or is there going to be a new tenant? Anyone know anything about this?
This is the first i've heard of this. I dont know the answer to be honest, but I wouldnt be surprised as the Feds have been on an asset selling spree lately to prop up their "surplus".

Employees of 1 Front St. W. (Dominion Public Building) were advised today they would be relocated in 2021 and that Treasury Board has sold the building to Canada Lands Company.

I took a look at the Canada Lands website, but was slightly confused by it. It seems like they do development, but also try to maintain the heritage components? What do you guys think they would be looking do here? Gut the inside and restore? Build on top? Make it into a "community space"?

Back