Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Yesterday.

So we can assume this project is moving into construction shortly? Let's face facts, this is the single most exciting project in Toronto with the hope that it will springboard more development over top of the rail corridor. Also the largest office tower to begin construction in toronto in over 30 years.

Metrolinx said they are breaking ground on their new underground bus terminal in summer 2015 so I assume this included the tower too.

Was it ever officially part of the plan to be cancelled? I thought it was just an early concept, but at one point there was a third tower above a historic building to the north of the site in the renderings. Everything since has just been two from what I have read. But each tower sort of looks like two squished together.

Was it ever officially part of the plan to be cancelled? I thought it was just an early concept, but at one point there was a third tower above a historic building to the north of the site in the renderings. Everything since has just been two from what I have read. But each tower sort of looks like two squished together.

Isn't that a standard developer's bait and switch? You threaten to build something ugly to ruin views along Front Street. Then, when it is taken out of the plan, everyone is so relieved they don't bother to complain about anything else. I just always assumed that was SOP. Architects and planners here please correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't that a standard developer's bait and switch? You threaten to build something ugly to ruin views along Front Street. Then, when it is taken out of the plan, everyone is so relieved they don't bother to complain about anything else. I just always assumed that was SOP. Architects and planners here please correct me if I'm wrong.

There isn't really much to complain about in this case though, considering the amount of benefits to be had (New GO bus terminal, roughed in space for LRT, partial railway deck, redone East Bay Teamway.

AoD

^No I'm not complaining about the project, but the third tower looked so bad and disappeared so fast, I just thought I'd mention it.

It could come back in a future phase, not necessarily in the same form. That site has been left out of the proposal as submitted so far, and I imagine thoughts of redevelopment there are now years away.

I think they were pondering/threatening to go to OMB for that:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/comm/communicationfile-34491.pdf

No OMB file though, from the cursory look at the e-cases.

AoD

Nice threat letter. The law firm quotes a review of their work on their web site: "The sheer number of OMB cases Davies Howe is involved in will make it an uphill battle for any firm to challenge it for the number one position in 2015.†What circle of hell is for OMB lawyers?

I hope that people will realize what beautiful vistas are soon going to be available looking east from Union Station, and the city will grow a pair and protect the view corridor. Threat letters or not...

No, that's the second phase, and while the early concept showed it taller, it's currently proposed as a twin to the 45 Bay tower, just turned 90 degrees.

The third phase, sprouting from the Dominion Public Building, is off the books for now.

And hopefully to stay there. The proposed addition looked atrocious and I'd far rather they just left the Dominion building alone. Why does everything in this city need to be redeveloped? Surely we can spare one building from facadicizism?

Back