Toronto Bathurst College Centre | ?m | 4s | RioCan | Turner Fleischer

The entire Bathurst St is not urban, definitely among the worst one can do about a downtown street. It probably can pass as a street in Vaughan with hardly anything taller than 3 stories and worst of all, no retail at all.

http://goo.gl/maps/xbZqk

Is there anything to get the entire street redeveloped for higher density - midrise apartment with lots of shops? Bathurst is easily the most boring street downtown.

Urbanity =/= height. You also do your argument no service by disingenuously choosing a google streetview shot where one side of the street is a park. Nevermind that the Bathurst streetscape varies quite considerably along its route through Toronto, with quite a bit of density being found along many stretches of it.

Last edited:
Bathurst is predominatly lined with residential buildings, I think Ksun is saying more that it isn't a retail street like you would expect it to be given its prominence.

I think you're being too generous. Not that there isn't a fair argument to be made in that regards about Bathurst, just that he wasn't making it. It's the rest of his post I take issue with, as his comment about retail came across as tacked-on to his broader point where he, in essence, is advocating for the entire raising of the street, which, residential or not, is actually quite urban, a concept which he mistakenly equates with height.

And while Bathurst may by no means be a retail mecca, from pretty much South of Alexandra Park/Dundas to Niagara, there is actually quite a bit of diverse and high quality retail scattered throughout, from 416 Snack Bar on the Northern end there, to Gotstyle at the Southern end, and if you factor in venues such as the Factory Theatre, it becomes that much more interesting of a street.

I think you're being too generous. Not that there isn't a fair argument to be made in that regards about Bathurst, just that he wasn't making it. It's the rest of his post I take issue with, as his comment about retail came across as tacked-on to his broader point where he, in essence, is advocating for the entire raising of the street, which, residential or not, is actually quite urban, a concept which he mistakenly equates with height.

And while Bathurst may by no means be a retail mecca, from pretty much South of Alexandra Park/Dundas to Niagara, there is actually quite a bit of diverse and high quality retail scattered throughout, from 416 Snack Bar on the Northern end there, to Gotstyle at the Southern end, and if you factor in venues such as the Factory Theatre, it becomes that much more interesting of a street.

I didn't equate urbanity with height, but Bathurst is definitely not giving an "urban" vibe, does it, especially considering its location in Toronto with streetcar and subway.

Didn't expect Bathurst to be a "retail mecca", which doesn't exist in Toronto to start with, but the entire street is predominantly residential with suburban life layout. Yes, you may be able to pinpoint a few stores here and there, but it doesn't change the fact that it is more like a street in Vaughan than downtown of a metropolis of 6M. Trust to walk on Bathurst at 7pm tomorrow night, or 2pm weekends, and come back tell us it is urban, busy and vibrant with pedestrians from other parts of the city.

Bathurst is a big failure. There is no way to deny it. Toronto can do better and we should look for excuses as if it oozes Toronto character.

Bathurst is predominatly lined with residential buildings, I think Ksun is saying more that it isn't a retail street like you would expect it to be given its prominence.

Lower Bathurst has developed retail and higher residential density in the last few years. That density and retail will start moving north, so this is the perfect time to change the look and feel of that run down street. I think Bathurst needs to go mid-rise (6 to 12 floors) with retail along the whole street. Now is the time to turn that ugly duckling into a stylish shopping/residential strip, that expands the urban core.

I didn't equate urbanity with height, but Bathurst is definitely not giving an "urban" vibe, does it, especially considering its location in Toronto with streetcar and subway.

Didn't expect Bathurst to be a "retail mecca", which doesn't exist in Toronto to start with, but the entire street is predominantly residential with suburban life layout. Yes, you may be able to pinpoint a few stores here and there, but it doesn't change the fact that it is more like a street in Vaughan than downtown of a metropolis of 6M. Trust to walk on Bathurst at 7pm tomorrow night, or 2pm weekends, and come back tell us it is urban, busy and vibrant with pedestrians from other parts of the city.

Bathurst is a big failure. There is no way to deny it. Toronto can do better and we should look for excuses as if it oozes Toronto character.

To equate Bathurst with Vaughan and call it a "big failure" is way over the top. It's no different than many other streets that you find along a streetcar line. Bathurst is hardly the centre of downtown, so of course it's going to be somewhat less busy. But nevertheless there is still plenty of character and vibrancy in certain sections, even north of Bloor, and it will get even better when the remaining warehouses are redeveloped.

And what "suburban life layout" are you talking about? The houses are close together and face right onto the street. People ride their bikes and take the streetcar. Definitely doesn't sound like Vaughan to me. http://goo.gl/maps/HZU4a

The largest retail unit in the new proposal is about 45,000 square feet, less than half the 95,000 square feet allocated for a Walmart in the original proposal.

Hmm, 45.000sq. ft.....So an ideas of what could be a good fit without any feedback from the community?

Dollarama Superstore?
Vallue Village?
XS Cargo?
Home Hardware?

Yes Hmm.....let me see, Walmart isn't afraid to go small....they have been rolling out Neighbourhood Markets in US (38,000SF) and Express stores (15,000SF). I'd prefer to see one of these stores over a Dollarama Superstore, et. al.

The largest retail unit in the new proposal is about 45,000 square feet, less than half the 95,000 square feet allocated for a Walmart in the original proposal.

Hmm, 45.000sq. ft.....So an ideas of what could be a good fit without any feedback from the community?

45k sq. ft. would comfortably fit a mid sized grocery store. Sobey's or Metro could rile up opposition with Loblaw's going in to the north of K-Market.

If I was Walmart I would definately pull out of this development. There is a much better opportunity to the north at the Honest Eds site. I have no inside information about this but if I was Walmart I would covet Honest Eds not the Kromer site.

Walmart is at Dufferin and Bloor. Would they also want to be at Bathurst and Bloor?

There is enough population density at both intersections to support a Wal-Mart. Plus if they put one at Bathurst & Bloor it would be their smaller urban format store. It's all about market share and crowding out the competition. They'd rather experience some cannibalization between stores, rather than leaving sales at the table. I can see a smaller format Canadian Tire going here as well or even a grocery store.

Walmart is at Dufferin and Bloor. Would they also want to be at Bathurst and Bloor?
Walking to Bathurst and Bloor from anywhere in downtown Toronto is a lot easier than walking to Dufferin. Also, this would be a lot closer to the subway than Dufferin mall, which is between Bloor and College.

Honest Ed's will not become a Walmart. The site was bought by Westbank of Vancouver, who will likely do something BIG. Ian Gillespie is into landmarks, not Walmart.

Anyway, as a reminder, this thread's about Bathurst north of Dundas, not Bathurst & Bloor.

Back