News   Apr 16, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

Barrie Downtown Developments

Funny, I didn't think reading posts you weren't interested in was mandatory.

Barrie's in the "Greater Golden Horseshoe", and these developments are all urban.

Yeah 3D! Expand your horizons a bit!

Now I don't know why I would use MapArt's Toronto & Area Atlas in particular to adjudicate just what is within our purview and what isn't, but I do, and Barrie is.

I use the Greater Golden Horseshoe definition, which is not only "MapArt's Toronto and Area Atlas" but also Hamilton, the Regions of Niagara and Waterloo and the Counties of Wellington, Peterborough, Northumberland, Brant, and Victoria.

Thanks for the link. It looks like Barrie's obliberating the rail bed of the CN Newmarket Sub, unfortunately. But Allandale redevelopment looks like it might compensate for that nicely. The hotel/conference centre looks interesting, as does the old IGA and Lakeview dairy sites.

The West Lakefront Hotel and Residences, Barrie, Ontario

http://www.thewestkempenfeltbay.com/

barrie.png

barsz2.png

Barrie has a density of 900/sq km. Even something as suburban like Scarborough/Etobicoke has a density of about 3000. In comparison, the old Toronto has a density of 7000.
Barrie may develp whatever it wants, but it will never be urban, at least in our lifetime. A few condo towers along the lake don't make a place urban.

I agree with 3D here, which is why we need a Toronto section and a GTA section IMO. But hey 3Dementia, nobody forced us to open this thread.:cool:

I've often wondered if having GTA sections would make things easier? For example, I find that there are only a few of us that really discuss any of the projects in York Region, so the threads are always buried many pages deep, so members open duplicate threads (protip: google site:urbantoronto.ca and the project address instead of the site search). It could be as easy as separate sections for Peel, York, Halton, Durham, Simcoe, the K-W Area, Peterborough, and the Niagara Region. Anything north of Barrie, east of Durham Region, or west of the K-W would probably be too far since it would be outside of the "greater" golden horseshoe (as mentioned above).

Barrie has a density of 900/sq km. Even something as suburban like Scarborough/Etobicoke has a density of about 3000. In comparison, the old Toronto has a density of 7000.
Barrie may develp whatever it wants, but it will never be urban, at least in our lifetime. A few condo towers along the lake don't make a place urban.

That figure is for everything within the city limits, including big box developments and low density sprawl, the old core area of Barrie has a much higher density and is certainly much more "urban".

I love how nobody can think outside of the possibility of having a Toronto section and GTA section. How about Ontario developments in general?

We should give the smaller cities a chance too... their forums never fare well on their own, and I for one would be interested to learn more about current developments throughout Ontario. There is a world outside the GTA!

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in knowing about what's going on in the smaller cities of Ontario.

Barrie's downtown is not very dense though. The parts with high rises also have lots of empty land and the downtown is mostly commercial surrounded by older single family homes with deep lots. The densest census tract that part of the city is 2864/km2, much of the census tracts in Barrie's suburban neighbourhoods are 2000-3000/km2 with the densest at 3381/km2. Barrie is built is a similar way to a small town like Elmira, just bigger.

Back