Toronto Avani and Avani2 at Metrogate Condos | 105.15m | 35s | Tridel | Graziani + Corazza

The tower has decent details which give it a sense of identity, but the dominant grey colour may prove regrettable. On the other hand, the podium is so poorly detailed and car oriented that it becomes anonymous and generic. It doesn't do anything to build a sense of place or community.

Metrogate-Park-brighter.jpg

I'm sorry, but what purpose exactly does that bridge serve?
Is it suppose to be 'eyecandy'? Or do people like walking over a bridge for the sake of walking over a bridge?

Is there any retail at all in this giant project ?

Is it suppose to be 'eyecandy'? Or do people like walking over a bridge for the sake of walking over a bridge?

You've nailed it right on the head VS .... it's a bridge for the sake of creating one, just to add layers to an otherwise boring flat park I guess ?

Is there any retail at all in this giant project ?

I believe there is some limited grade retail space in Avani, however if Solaris retail space is indicative of anything (still vacant), I do question its viability

This is one of the most hideous proposals I've seen in a very long time... its design is a cheap-looking mess that has almost no redeeming features. An undergrad architecture student could create something better.

That bad huh ?? Not that I'm defending Avani ... but certainly I've seen other way worst looking project designs

the design is pretty standard and its not bad, but in the models the colors seem to be pasty and look cheap. i do think though the real deal will look better

Metrogate Park- engineered to be multifunctional

The park was engineered to collect storm water and is part of the LEED Neighbourhood Development Pilot, saving on infrastructure costs from storm runoff. After a heavy storm, the bridge gets visitors from Solaris and Ventus over the soggy section of the park's collection basin. From a landscape architecture point of view, its an interesting feature and focal point that adds recreational value to the park.

From our blog: "The drainage basin of the park is made of crushed, reclaimed building materials, which keeps the materials usable and out of the landfill. It’s a sustainable system that doesn’t add to the infrastructure load, since it’s not connected to the city’s sewage system." Read more

Must be a coincidence but Metrogate was featured in a Yourhome.ca article.

Last edited:
Looks like Avani's height proposal has been reduced from 2x 35s to 35 + 29s

255 VILLAGE GREEN SQ

Site Plan Approval
11 126062 ESC 40 SA
Ward 40 - Scarborough
Feb 14, 2011
Residential Apartments
Muirhead, Doug (416) 396-7029

Site Plan Approval for Block 7 - Two residential apartment condominium towers, 29 & 35 storeys in height, with 668 units and main floor daycare

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/navigatePlanningApp.do?method=next&reportType=1

I thought I'd mention that the site @ Avani is officially underway, finally. Operations are in full swing this week with a few shovels and a drill as of today. I live in Solaris across the street and saw it this morning coming in to work drilling away.

Its purpose is to cost a lot of money, both now, and in the future, when it must be maintained. I don't think it was for aesthetics, because they bought a utilitarian pedestrian bridge right out of the MTO catalogue.

Back