Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The park is going to be getting a bit larger - if council approves this motion.

"Following the recent completion of the Aura condominium complex at Yonge Street and Gerrard Street West, the existing park is scheduled for demolition and redevelopment pursuant to a Section 37 Agreement with Canderel, the condominium developer. The lease for the park (Part 1 on Schedule 'A') still requires formal documentation. 7550375 Canada Inc., the current owner of the surface land, has agreed to finalize the surface land lease to the City for park purposes, at nominal rent. The current owner will also include additional surface lands (shown as Parts 2 and 3 on Schedule 'A') to the surface land lease, on the same terms and conditions. The addition of Parts 2 and 3 will allow for an expanded park with a coherent visual and functional transition between the publicly and privately owned portions of the site." See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.MM9.30

DSC02201.jpg
Taken last night.
DSC02221.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02221.jpg
    DSC02221.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC02201.jpg
    DSC02201.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,272
I wonder if college park will renovate that little back patio space with the cities park renovations.. The whole area back there needs a ton of fixing up.

I wonder if college park will renovate that little back patio space with the cities park renovations.. The whole area back there needs a ton of fixing up.
I thought I heard that an expansion of the mall was planned for that space, but I am not certain.

I must say, even if Aura went through the cheapening, I still appreciate its presence a whole lot.

It is a project that makes me wonder what is next in store for Toronto's skyline. I look forward to seeing what new projects pop up beside it in the upcoming years.

I must say, even if Aura went through the cheapening, I still appreciate its presence a whole lot.

It is a project that makes me wonder what is next in store for Toronto's skyline. I look forward to seeing what new projects pop up beside it in the upcoming years.

I feel that the proposed height of the Eaton Chelsea towers will steal some of the thunder from Aura and reduce it's presence on the skyline.

^I hope it doesn't - at least from my vantage point. Super tall buildings like Aura and One Bloor East impact the skyline in a positive way in part because they dwarf all other buildings around them. An 80 storey tower immediately south of Aura will diminish Aura's visual impact from afar. Having said that, I wouldn't object to a 70 or 90 storey tower on the Eaton Chelsea site. For appropriate scale and massing, I think there has to be a meaningful height differential between the two tallest buildings at that corner, or any corner for that matter.

October 13, 2015:

Last edited:
Excellent shots Kotsy.

Razz: I would rather Aura get some competition for dominance on that particular stretch of Toronto's skyline. Height be damned - I just see it as the dismal sum of too many compromises.

Back