Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Steve, a lot of Yonge St. is looking like that now. With so many projects on the go are about to start there are blocks of Yonge that are mostly closed up shops looking really bad.

Yesterday evening…

DSC05513.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05513.jpg
    DSC05513.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 1,187
Some shots, particularly at night the lights look really fat and heavy handed, sort of like icing on a cake or drippings on a candle. Don't know if it really looks like that in person. I really like the photos where it shows the lights being thin, particularly during the day -- It looks more elegant.

It's definitely the coolest part of the building.

During a visit to Toronto in early August, I happened to be at the 5th floor Queen Street The Bay dept store on a foggy evening, and looked out their expansive northern 5th floor windows and saw the LED lights high up in the sky. The fog had obscured the top of the building so none of the red "corner" lights showed, which caused the lights to appear to stretch indefinitely skyward, as if some kind of "alien" beam was descending through the clouds. Visible too were the top part of that giant Samsung LED outdoor display, which gave the whole place a surreal sci-fi vibe. I love Toronto!!!

I think it would look nicer if some of the bands extend down twice as far.

And if they all fade down in brightness slightly as they move farther from the top. Having them all the same brightness and only near the top is a bit...jarring.

Took another peak at the mall last night. Seems like there are some more tenants but it can't be more than half filled. I was surprised to see one corridor completely rented out. The food court is the exact same with only 3 tenants. What's particularly amusing is the stage they have setup in there that will probably never get used.

Some shots, particularly at night the lights look really fat and heavy handed, sort of like icing on a cake or drippings on a candle. Don't know if it really looks like that in person. I really like the photos where it shows the lights being thin, particularly during the day -- It looks more elegant.

It's definitely the coolest part of the building.

Most photos at night will make the light beams look chubbier and washed out than they look in person. Especially at great distances.
In person, where the lights look extremely thin is on the south facade. One night in particular while I was standing on the west side of Bay Street at Richmond, the lights on Aura looked incredible precise behind Old City Hall. The consistency of lighting throughout the lengths is quite perfect. It was a spectacular sight to behold.
On another note, I also assume the video screen at the Yonge-Gerard corner of the building was scrapped or put on hold indefinitely. Not that the building necessarily needs it, but it's odd to see a permanent marketing banner in the gap there.

Back