Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Here's how the lights look from Spadina @ Queen:

2015-08-04 22.11.17.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-08-04 22.11.17.jpg
    2015-08-04 22.11.17.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1,026
I guarantee everyone that the NIMBY's are going to ruin the lighting feature on Aura at some point in the future. Once more stretches along Yonge get developed for other tall condos, those that move in will start complaining that the lighting feature is "blinding them in their own rooms". In 5-10 years just watch the the complaints start flooding in. Then the news outlets will start covering the story, there probably will be protests, and the lights will either be dimmed or turned off completely as a result.
I think that the greater likelihood is that some resident will complain about the cost, say there is no benefit to the residents in keeping them on, a few more residents will start to make a stink about it and they will get turned off.

Apparently, one can see the lights from outer space. So this will act as a beacon for the impending alien invasion. I guess the condo owners never read that line in their docs o_O Buyer beware!

I really like the lights too. I don't get the hate. Buy curtains if you are so bothered. Most interesting thing to happen to the skyline since the lights on the cn tower.

Everyone I know who doesn't typically care about such things all really like them too.

Ditto from me...the lights make a bold bright accent high above the Yonge St corridor. And sure they are boldly bright, but perhaps the stark white is less obtrusive than say a brash red, blue or hot pink.

I like the recent trend of lighting up mechanicals in (sometimes) interesting ways (such as the pulsating glow on TIFF or the festive rainbow colours atop Paintbox), but this takes it a step further with bright, long vertical strips of light high above our main thoroughfare. Keep 'em on!

It will be interesting to see how One Bloor will be lit. That last photo really shows how much that war monument needs to be illuminated. Why only light the fountains? That's perhaps the closest space we have to Columbus Circle. The apathy we have for such things is bewildering.

Back