News   Apr 19, 2024
 339     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 656     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 735     1 

Are Social Media Websites like Facebook and Twitter becoming too powerful?

So people are dumber today, an example being that they don't want to eat Nutella, and this is all the fault of Facebook and Twitter. Okay.

So people are dumber today, an example being that they don't want to eat Nutella, and this is all the fault of Facebook and Twitter. Okay.
so you hate those facebook posts too? im glad im not alone

My biggest beef with social media is the automatic acceptance of statements or proclamations that have no basis, research or qualification behind it. Unfortunately, once it's out in public, the masses latch onto it like it was gospel and share it with everyone else. Even if that statement proves to be false or incorrect, the damage is done as most social media users have moved on to the next hashtag or topic of the day. Meanwhile, those initial false statements will never be disputed in their minds.

My biggest beef with social media is the automatic acceptance of statements or proclamations that have no basis, research or qualification behind it. Unfortunately, once it's out in public, the masses latch onto it like it was gospel and share it with everyone else. Even if that statement proves to be false or incorrect, the damage is done as most social media users have moved on to the next hashtag or topic of the day. Meanwhile, those initial false statements will never be disputed in their minds.

Amen!!!!!!!!!! im glad someone said it. not everything we see on face book is tru

I can add to that, to the people of face book, i dont care about MonoSanto, GMO, MSG, nor should you guys.

No different than the news media

MonoSanto

The singular saint?

i dont care about MonoSanto, GMO, MSG, nor should you guys.

you shouldn't care about things that I don't understand either.

Never trust anyone who doesn't eat Nutella. It's scientifically proven to be the most delicious substance in existence.

My biggest beef with Facebook these days is that it's littered with the most obnoxious clickbait headlines. But then again, the whole internet is littered with that stuff, so that's not a criticism of Facebook per se. I even saw a CBC News headline with a clickbait headline recently. In any case I'm a moderate Facebook user and I have no illusions about the privacy of my data, real name or not. If I cared that much, I wouldn't use it.

...and a locked drawer and/or a locked safe inside a locked room inside a locked house
I keep my data on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

I despise clickbait headlines, but I can only assume that it works and a lot of people do click, who would've otherwise not even bothered if the headline actually described what the article is really about.

Example: "This member on the Urban Toronto forums responded in the social media thread with a single word response that will leave you flabbergasted!" :rolleyes:

I despise clickbait headlines, but I can only assume that it works and a lot of people do click, who would've otherwise not even bothered if the headline actually described what the article is really about.

Example: "This member on the Urban Toronto forums responded in the social media thread with a single word response that will leave you flabbergasted!" :rolleyes:
lol exactly. Or the classic "Vaughan housewife discovers this easy weight loss trick. Doctors hate her!"

so you hate those facebook posts too? im glad im not alone

I don't use Facebook because of security issues.

But Facebook is merely a tool that people can use to communicate. If people communicate stupid things, then it is because they are stupid, not because Facebook is making them stupid. To blame Facebook for other people's stupidity seems kinda stupid to me. It's like saying phones are making people stupid because people don't talk about Monsanto on phone with their friends.

My mom, who is FOB from Vietnam, knows nothing about Monsanto. Is she stupid?

As for the issue of Nutella vs. Monsanto: just because people are concerned about health impacts of Nutella doesn't necessarily mean they are not concerned about the health and other impacts of other foods. It is entirely possible for people to talk about one thing for a while and then talk about another thing another while. In fact, I'm pretty that is just normal.

This won't be the last time that will hear Facebook getting into a crisis like this. I think, however, that Facebook is way too big to have controversial issues take it down alone, its way too embedded in culture, business, technology, social-economics etc. I believe MySpace could of had that power too but the timing of its execution was too soon (before social media had a real "business" structure).

Headline story today's NYTimes:

Facebook Gave Tech Giants More Intrusive Data Access Than It Disclosed

• Internal records show that the social network had arrangements with Microsoft, Amazon and others, effectively exempting some partners from its usual privacy rules.
  • The documents, the most complete picture yet of Facebook’s data-sharing practices, underscore how personal data has become the digital age’s prized commodity.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-privacy.html

Here are five takeaways from our investigation.

3h ago

Headline story today's NYTimes:

Facebook Gave Tech Giants More Intrusive Data Access Than It Disclosed
  • Internal records show that the social network had arrangements with Microsoft, Amazon and others, effectively exempting some partners from its usual privacy rules.
  • The documents, the most complete picture yet of Facebook’s data-sharing practices, underscore how personal data has become the digital age’s prized commodity.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-privacy.html

Here are five takeaways from our investigation.

3h ago
Even if one never uses Facebook, even doing Google searches using private mode will allow Facebook to know what you are searching.

Facebook knows us more than we know ourselves.

It is extremely bloated, unlike the university-only Facebook era.

Back