News   Apr 25, 2024
 162     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Yorkdale Subway Station Easier Access (Arc En Ciel Reinstallation)

Pre-construction Open House - October 18, 2017

See link.

You are invited to an Open House to learn more about the upgrades that are planned for Yorkdale Station. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2018 and will include a new elevator, improved lighting, signage and a redesign of the main entrance with glass canopy. The station will also feature new sheltered bike parking and full PRESTO access. Further details are available on the project site or by subscribing for regular updates using the contact details below.​

Open House Details
Date: October 18, 2017
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
40 Playfair Avenue

DL9CEslVwAAZ95t.jpg

The last time I used the station, admittedly a long time ago, there was a shocking amount of pigeon shit at this entrance. The design made it a perfect space for birds to roost on the beams above the door. It would be nice if the new design incorporated some bird deterrence. I know this is possible because the Edgecliff train station in Sydney manages to do it successfully.

^ Why is the TTC / City wasting money on renting an event centre for this open house when they could use a city-owned community centre for free?

The last time I used the station, admittedly a long time ago, there was a shocking amount of pigeon shit at this entrance. The design made it a perfect space for birds to roost on the beams above the door. It would be nice if the new design incorporated some bird deterrence. I know this is possible because the Edgecliff train station in Sydney manages to do it successfully.
Do we really have to go to Sydney Australia to figure out how to control pigeons?

Is there no experience locally with this? Nelson Zum stop in Brampton for example? They had a problem and it seems to have been solved/controlled.

Do we really have to go to Sydney Australia to figure out how to control pigeons?

Is there no experience locally with this? Nelson Zum stop in Brampton for example? They had a problem and it seems to have been solved/controlled.

As someone who spends a couple of months a year in Sydney, I’d suggest that they do pretty much everything better than Toronto, and that if we ever want this city to improve we should pay attention.

The TTC itself uses bird deterrence. At most (if not all) subway stations where the new-style bus platform signs w/electronic display are installed, you can see massive spikes atop the signs to prevent perching/nesting behaviours.

I would suggest messaging the TTC's project lead if you think there's a risk the need for such may go unnoticed w/this project.

The TTC itself uses bird deterrence. At most (if not all) subway stations where the new-style bus platform signs w/electronic display are installed, you can see massive spikes atop the signs to prevent perching/nesting behaviours.

I would suggest messaging the TTC's project lead if you think there's a risk the need for such may go unnoticed w/this project.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do that.

Back