Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

The members of the WT DRP are mainly partners at prominent local architecture/landscape architecture firms or academics. I think it's less an issue with the development industry trying to protect itself and more that this group of elites may have a certain perspective what constitute "good design".

AoD

Ok, so possibly trying to preserve/promote their own design ideals to reduce the opportunity for the public to see what good design looks like :p

Ok, so possibly trying to preserve/promote their own design ideals to reduce the opportunity for the public to see what good design looks like :p

And of course, the initial selection of the consortium could be driven the factors beyond simple architecture as well (economics and what not). As I recall, the scheme by aA/architekten Cie is far more impressive from a design perpsective:

http://www.architectsalliance.com/projects/xl/urban-waterfront-redevelopment

AoD

A wild crane appeared today. I think it's for this project, not 100% sure.
IhtUjFh.jpg

Whatever it is, it's going to visually terminate the foot of Princess St, like Ivory did for the top of it.

7sGDRhV.jpg

Why is the crane so tall when there's nothing tall nearby?

IMG_5551 1 copy.JPG
IMG_5552 1 copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5551 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_5551 1 copy.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 1,828
  • IMG_5552 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_5552 1 copy.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 1,786
Monde will be behind Aqualina and much taller at 44 storeys, so it will be the focal point of the corridor down Princess Street.

probably will remain freestanding throughout construction and they don't want to have to jack it up at any point, so they built it at the height required to complete the building right off the start. My guess.

Aqualina's crane (and the Globe and Mail's cranes in the first pic) from the Islands this past Saturday:

DSC04698.jpg
DSC04750.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04698.jpg
    DSC04698.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,449
  • DSC04750.jpg
    DSC04750.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,461

Back