Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

Update from today - you can see the crane base (just behind the fence, and they are still digging at the north end)

upload_2015-7-25_16-31-41.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_16-32-10.jpeg

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-25_16-31-41.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-31-41.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 1,199
  • upload_2015-7-25_16-32-10.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-32-10.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 1,164
Yippee, more lazy Tridel / Kirkor spandrel garbage this way cometh. You'd think that they could at least get their act together for a highly visual site right on the waterfront...Hopefully Aquavista won't be as bad.

tridel-tara-1.jpg

Yippee, more lazy Tridel / Kirkor spandrel garbage this way cometh. You'd think that they could at least get their act together for a highly visual site right on the waterfront...Hopefully Aquavista won't be as bad.

You'd think the city would have smartened up by now instead of introducing more second-rate architecture on our waterfront like what happened at Queens Quay W.

The entire Tridel/Hines project so far is an insult to Sherbourne Common and the water's edge. I just pretend that the project doesn't exist, but unfortunately once the buildings are standing there it will be hard to turn a blind eye.

I continue to bash Spandrel (Tridel) exactly because of this crap. Look at the disgusting amount of spandrel use on the scale models - how this is acceptable is beyond me. Looks like they had some leftover spandrel from their ACCOLADE project and will be putting it to good use here. Another blight on the skyline by Spandrel (Tridel) coming - can't wait!

The entire Tridel/Hines project so far is an insult to Sherbourne Common and the water's edge. I just pretend that the project doesn't exist, but unfortunately once the buildings are standing there it will be hard to turn a blind eye.

You guys have not much to complain about. I will have very hard time to pretend it doesn't exist, for me it's replacing the lake and Island view.
On the other hand lets wait to see the finished product, i don't think it will look much worse than the waterfront George Brown college and Corus Quay which also replaced my lake view.

Today they instaled the crane.
IMGP0568.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0568.JPG
    IMGP0568.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 755
I find it amusing that even after WT's bid process for the site, we end up with waterfront architecture that would feel at home at Humber Bay Shores.

Embarrassing.

I find it amusing that even after WT's bid process for the site, we end up with waterfront architecture that would feel at home at Humber Bay Shores.

Embarrassing.

Yeah, architecture definitely hasn't been the strength of the revitalization process thus far. I feel that there is a very strong local undercurrent against flashiness in the local planning and architecture elite (the whole practical vs. celebratory aspect).

AoD

Im starting to wonder if the whole design review panel's reluctance to promote more flashy architecture is simply the industry attempting to protect itself from public demands for better architecture... I mean, the panel is made up of industry players. Does it really make sense for them to promote better/more expensive architecture when the industry as a whole benefits from more profit/easier projects through cheaper architecture?

Im starting to wonder if the whole design review panel's reluctance to promote more flashy architecture is simply the industry attempting to protect itself from public demands for better architecture... I mean, the panel is made up of industry players. Does it really make sense for them to promote better/more expensive architecture when the industry as a whole benefits from more profit/easier projects through cheaper architecture?

The members of the WT DRP are mainly partners at prominent local architecture/landscape architecture firms or academics. I think it's less an issue with the development industry trying to protect itself and more that this group of elites may have a certain perspective what constitute "good design".

AoD

Back