News   Mar 28, 2024
 992     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Anyone sold their own home? Or used a flat-fee MLS service?

There is nothing indicating that it will be with TREB, I checked. They were posting listings on the MLS using Best Value situated in Ottawa, and nothing indicates anything changing other than the name of the Brokerage. Comfree has always been affiliated with a brokerage in Ontario.

I almost went with ComFree but decided against it because unfortunately ComFree only allows you to put up ONE photo on realtor.ca and the description is just a website address with a coupon code. You have to go to that website, copy/paste the coupon code to be taken to the actual listing. In my opinion, if there are a lot of other homes for sale in your area (like condos DT) people who are searching likely won't bother with the ordeal and would move on.

The info there is skimpy, but I'm with Comfree and shortly I will be switching to treb plus will now be able to put up more pictures.

Have you had a good experience with Comfree? Have they told you that the listing will be on on the TREB?

Yes I've been very happy with Comfree. And yes I was told I'll get the paperwork for the transfer to treb very soon. As I understand it transactions will now be done with standard OREA forms from now on.
I'm on my phone at work but I will post the Faq questions about it later.

When i mean the listing will be on TREB, not on REALTOR.CA, meaning when I do a search on Torontomls.net will your listing show. I haven't seen any because they have an affiliation with the Ottawa board. I would ask them this to make sure. Ask them if the listing will be seen by TREB members on there MLS.

When i mean the listing will be on TREB, not on REALTOR.CA, meaning when I do a search on Torontomls.net will your listing show. I haven't seen any because they have an affiliation with the Ottawa board. I would ask them this to make sure. Ask them if the listing will be seen by TREB members on there MLS.

Yes, 100%

Here's some questions and answer from Comfree regarding the change:

1. How is it different than if I signed up with Joe William in Ottawa (Andan)?
Your listing would be with Commonsense Network Brokerage and would be on the Toronto Real Estate Board with more photo's and a more direct way for the customer to view your listing on comfree.com.

2. The Realtor.ca link to Comfree was a complex set of set steps using Andan; is this one any simpler?
Yes more information regarding this will be sent to you. It is easier!

3. Andan limited the information we could enter; does Commonsense permit as much information and as many pictures as a traditional CREA brokerage?
The pictures will be increased and the info will be what is required to list on the Toronto Real Estate Board.

4. Do I have to enroll or is it automatic because I am enrolled (till I sell) with Comfree?
There will be an a transfer process including 1 paper document to move from Andan to Commonsense Network Brokerage and an online process to get set up on TREB.

5. Is there an additional cost to be listed in Realtor.ca through Commonsense?
There is no additional cost if you are currently listed with Andan.

6. Andan is based in Ottawa which affects the way information is presented; where is Commonsense registered?
The Toronto Real Estate Board.

Much better then there old way. I think they are trying to compete with Realty Sellers based in Toronto.

Remember if there is no co-operating commission offered, the buyer under representation will have to pay the buyers agent.

Best of luck with it, I hope it sells.

Much better then there old way. I think they are trying to compete with Realty Sellers based in Toronto.

Remember if there is no co-operating commission offered, the buyer under representation will have to pay the buyers agent.

Best of luck with it, I hope it sells.

Thanks.. I've been very busy in the last few days with viewings so I'm optimistic..

Post seems quiet/dead...If not, does anyone have other or recent experience with flat fee and/or for sale by owner in the GTA area. Seems a few have sprung up..(example HomeMarketing, property shop, etc)..

The Realtor (tm) lobby in Canada is doing everything it can to maintain it's monopoly.

It seemed like progress when CREA was recently forced to allow competitors to access its listing service monopoly (mls.ca), but this change hasn't been effective because the majority of Canadians are completely unenterprising, unimaginative, and behave like sheep.

So, if you try to be enterprising and use a flat fee brokerage to sell your place using MLS exposure, and your neighbour wants to buy a place just like yours, what will they most likely do? No, they won't. They will go to their realtor who will pretend your privately listed property doesn't even exist. Even if there is a cooperating commission offered. Because they know that if they do show your place it will eventually spell the end to their reign and force major changes in the industry.

Discount brokerage listings get next to zero showings because there is a coordinated effort on the part of industry to boycot this new competition. Nip it in the bud so to speak, by keeping their clients in the dark. Which has proven shamefully easy for them accomplish.

CREA is maintaining its firm grip on its monopoly by convincing consumers that they can't think for themselves.

And they are mostly right.

Last edited:
CREA is maintaining its firm grip on its monopoly by convincing consumers that they can't think for themselves.

I really love the commercial they have right now showing the couple with the disaster house all because they didn't use an agent. Every single one of the issues they pointed out could have happened with an agent!

I really love the commercial they have right now showing the couple with the disaster house all because they didn't use an agent. Every single one of the issues they pointed out could have happened with an agent!

Tell me about it. Realtors have to be the most unprofessional profession there ever was. Esp when it comes to single family homes where maintenance and the condition of the house are the onus of the homeowner, not an audited management company as is the case with condos. There is very limited recourse against an agent - it's buyer beware. And more than anything agents just want to close a deal.

A buyer would be better off paying a building contractor to act on their behalf when they are interested in a property.

I found this thread very interesting and informative and just wanted an update from anyone that has used a FSBO service recently. Myself and my wife are looking to move into a larger family home from our initial starter home and the idea of losing 20 to 25K in commissions seems absurd to me with the tools available these days. I've looked at http://comfree.com/ and they seem legit and up front and I don't mind spending the $500 if I can save 20K in the long run.

I'd love to know if anyone used that comfree.com service or any other FSBO service.

Thanks in advance.

Back