News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Amazon Second HQ

PS to everything I said; Urban Dreamer over at SSP is either having a lot of fun at people's expense.....or spilling something huge on this file.

See their Canada's tallest 50 thread.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

AoD

Don't disagree.

Will say, its the first I've heard of tying this to the convention ctr site.

But the rest does seem to fit.

But I can't verify this myself.

Would have been nice if blogTO provided some of the highlights from that report, but that would probably be too much substance for their journalists standards.

Anyway, Toronto has been ranked all over the place in these various lists. Depending who you ask, we are anywhere from number one to near the bottom of the list. At his point we will simply have to wait and see what happens.

On this particular list, Raleigh NC ranks higher than Toronto. I'm not terribly familiar with Raleigh, but based on Amazon's criteria it would seem Toronto would have a major edge in more than a few areas.

The report (https://www.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Amazon-Spreadsheet-Current.pdf) is really just an 'average' of every prediction, some of which don't make much sense.

Can't take it too seriously.

These rankings of cities most likely to get the new HQ are pretty much meaningless. They're based on speculation and no more valid than the discussion here. It's fun to talk about but best not to put a whole lot of emotional energy into it.

I think the political situation in the US is fairly uncertain at the moment, with the revelations concerning the DNC and ongoing problems in the Republicans- the greater story than Trump is that the establishment is teetering.

Amazon is Bezos, and Bezos's close links to the Democrats and the Washington Post may be reason enough to place a secondary HQ outside the US borders (and US law).
I've heard it argued that the current political situation in the US is only temporary and a historical blip. But if you really think about it, President Trump (shudder) is the result of political trends in the US that have been building for decades. I could see companies like Amazon wanting to have a major presence outside the US even if Trump loses the next election.

H1PUf9h.png

This is actually really disgusting.
It’s true. And it’s one of the reasons that in the early days of competition law and antitrust measures that one of the goals was to ensure that corporate entities remained small enough the governments could muscle them,and not the other way around.

The notes above are not much more than a corporate shakedown.

Truly disgusting.

I am glad that here in Toronto, we are above such approaches. If we ever needed confirmation that we are actually world-class, it is that we didn't offer Amazon subsidies.

A title I am happy to share with Boston and New York City. Good club to be in.

Good to see that despite all the talk about how the city is always desperate to be compared to, or needs to prove itself or see itself as a peer to American cities, Toronto has the good sense to not grovel and sacrifice its citizens' well-being in this desperate way.

Last edited:
That can't be real. Is it? Am I having a bad dream? Why/how is that legal? Seems a bit feudal/slavery-like.

Back