News   Apr 24, 2024
 744     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 989     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 569     0 

Adam Vaughan, Shelley Carroll consider mayoral run in 2014

:) I was talking about running for mayor. But thank you though. It's nice to know people still care.

Blind ambition seems to run wildly in this thread.

Carroll might have a chance if she wasn't such a 'screetchy' lady and was more constructive with her critique like some of the other left/centrists.

Vaughan is very good politically, but he'll definitely come across 'too' left, despite his roots to both Liberal and NDP factions (and pissing off Trin-Spa liberals)

Unfortunately, I think his urban lifestyle will get him too out of touch with the citiy's suburbia vote.

If you look at the recent history of all our mayors, they all have deep roots to at least 1 political party, and they have the ability to come across as a pragmatists and appeal to cross party voters.

Stintz probably has one of the better chances of wining (unless the NDP run a Candidate against her).

Josh Colle? (possible not vocal enough) or Matlow (needs 1 more term?)

Depending on how the political landscape shapes up, you can have the same results as 2 years ago: Hard line NDPers voting for Pantalone so Ford gets by with a win.

I wonder if Olivia Chow would run now that she has her 2 term pension in the bank (got help us!) lol.

Last edited:
I share js97's reservations about Vaughan's chances. I mean we are purely speculating here (which is the fun of it). But it really comes down to the political mood at the time of the election and who will run against Ford.

For those of you who really like Vaughan and want him to beat Ford if he does run, I've got a question for you: In a one-on-one scenerio I would clearly vote Vaughan over Ford (because he is clearly a disaster regardless of what your political vision for the city is). But in a scenerio with a multiple slate I would not be a strong Vaughan supporter. I'm really unconvinced about him. On the one hand he has been a strong advocate for certain city-building projects and initiatives I support, on the other hand we are at odds on many issues where I find his vision bizzare and at times almost Ford-like in vindictiveness. I'm an old city of Toronto centre to centre-right voter. If Vaughan can't convince me here how can he beat Ford in the suburbs?

Most of the posters here base their various hypotheses on a scenario where Ford is running for re-election, I don't think he will. I wouldn't be surprised if he declared his work to be done, which it may well be, and faded away into the sunset.
Candidates for mayor in the next election may be deprived of the distraction of comparing themselves to the incumbent and have to measure up (or down) to the other candidates in the race.

Most of the posters here base their various hypotheses on a scenario where Ford is running for re-election, I don't think he will. I wouldn't be surprised if he declared his work to be done, which it may well be, and faded away into the sunset.
Candidates for mayor in the next election may be deprived of the distraction of comparing themselves to the incumbent and have to measure up (or down) to the other candidates in the race.

Ford may do that but I wouldnt count on it. Ford likely thinks that he is some kind of saint who is leading Ford nation in the fight against the "libtards" who's one goal is to destroy the suburbs.

Of course, "his work done" might well be an clean, useful alibi for being on the lam from something...

I would vote for Vaughn if he ran. He has one of the best office staff I have dealt with. (they actually return phone calls and answer questions, unlike my own councillor's office) I like Adam Vaughn, he's smart and seems like he really cares what happens to the city. (unlike our present mayor)

Blind ambition seems to run wildly in this thread.

Carroll might have a chance if she wasn't such a 'screetchy' lady and was more constructive with her critique like some of the other left/centrists.

Vaughan is very good politically, but he'll definitely come across 'too' left, despite his roots to both Liberal and NDP factions (and pissing off Trin-Spa liberals)

Unfortunately, I think his urban lifestyle will get him too out of touch with the citiy's suburbia vote.

If you look at the recent history of all our mayors, they all have deep roots to at least 1 political party, and they have the ability to come across as a pragmatists and appeal to cross party voters.

Stintz probably has one of the better chances of wining (unless the NDP run a Candidate against her).

Josh Colle? (possible not vocal enough) or Matlow (needs 1 more term?)

Depending on how the political landscape shapes up, you can have the same results as 2 years ago: Hard line NDPers voting for Pantalone so Ford gets by with a win.

I wonder if Olivia Chow would run now that she has her 2 term pension in the bank (got help us!) lol.
You would support me though right ;)

I would vote for Vaughn if he ran. He has one of the best office staff I have dealt with. (they actually return phone calls and answer questions, unlike my own councillor's office) I like Adam Vaughn, he's smart and seems like he really cares what happens to the city. (unlike our present mayor)
If Adam Vaughan were to run for mayor, I will vote for him, not just for the laughs, but for his vision for the city.

People are overestimating the how many care about Toronto politics in everyday life. It wont take a lot for Ford to get elected again OR for Vaughan to win. The majority of the city does not vote.
The majority just voted -- 53% turnout in 2010.

With respect to Adam Vaughan and other downtown councillors, they work their asses when compared to many suburban councillors, but they receive equal office budgeting with those councillors.
Where is this objective rating system that tells me how hard each Councillor works?

I wouldn't be surprised if he declared his work to be done, which it may well be, and faded away into the sunset.
They're going to have to drag him out of that office.

Back