News   Apr 18, 2024
 720     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.7K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Ad-free alternatives to YouTube

That's what I've done now too.

Now, if Youtube would only add these filters I would be their favourite user of all time:

1) Filter out still image compilations. Youtube is for video motion content, not your holiday slide show (what, am I still in the 1970s?). If you're posting stills, use Instagram or other still image sites. There's a special place in hell for those that post music over still compilations.
2) Filter by language. Surely in the 21st century Google can recognize and filter by language.
3) Filter by actual or electronic voice. Same.

I wanted to share my success on this subject. I’ve downloaded the Dolphin browser onto my iPad and installed Adblock for Youtube onto the new browser. And now no more YouTube ads! I love it, https://dolphin.com/

And I don’t worry about professional YouTubers losing ad revenue, as IMO YouTube was never intended as a revenue stream for its posters, but instead was where folks posted vids they wanted to share on topics that interested then, full stop.

I wanted to share my success on this subject. I’ve downloaded the Dolphin browser onto my iPad and installed Adblock for Youtube onto the new browser. And now no more YouTube ads! I love it, https://dolphin.com/

And I don’t worry about professional YouTubers losing ad revenue, as IMO YouTube was never intended as a revenue stream for its posters, but instead was where folks posted vids they wanted to share on topics that interested then, full stop.
Many professional YouTubers use Patreon as a way to allow loyal viewers to donate (often to atone the sin of using AdBlock).

I actually enjoy the ads on YouTube but only because I use them to learn a bit of foreign languages. I use VPNs and the servers are all over the planet so I always get ads from the country in which my contemporaneous VPN server is located in.

Norway has YouTube ads for sales at supermarkets, which is weird. They seriously just show like two different sale items (for example, toilet rolls and toothpaste) and a sale price. Done. It's weird.

Also, don't even bother trying to learn Danish. I think it might be an entirely made-up language they're trolling us with.

That's the lovely idea, but there's no doubt it was created as a platform that would eventually generate revenue. Sharing it with content creators is what has helped it become the premier video hosting site on the planet.

That's the lovely idea, but there's no doubt it was created as a platform that would eventually generate revenue. Sharing it with content creators is what has helped it become the premier video hosting site on the planet.
If Google, YouTube's owners, really want to get ads into our faces, they should return to the pre-cable tv business model, where we get the service (i.e. OTA televsion, or internet) for free, and then watch the ads in exchange for the service.

That's where television went off the rails, IMO in the 1980s, where now we had to pay for television access, but we still had to watch the ads. And that's why, IMO, some people use AdBlock. I'm paying for the internet access, but I'm still stuck with watching ads? Of course in fairness we should separate the transactions into two parts, one for the access and one for the content, but that's not how the mind works. So, Google..... offer free internet access and you'll take out Rogers and Bell, and I'll watch your shampoo ads.

If Google, YouTube's owners, really want to get ads into our faces, they should return to the pre-cable tv business model, where we get the service (i.e. OTA televsion, or internet) for free, and then watch the ads in exchange for the service.

That's where television went off the rails, IMO in the 1980s, where now we had to pay for television access, but we still had to watch the ads. And that's why, IMO, some people use AdBlock. I'm paying for the internet access, but I'm still stuck with watching ads? Of course in fairness we should separate the transactions into two parts, one for the access and one for the content, but that's not how the mind works. So, Google..... offer free internet access and you'll take out Rogers and Bell, and I'll watch your shampoo ads.

Google would likely face anti-trust issues if they offered free internet service.

The TV analogy doesn't really work as you pay for access to cable TV, and not anything else.

An internet connection allows free access to a wide variety of content - Youtube is just one site. Expecting free use of it without any sort of ad exposure is completely unrealistic - they always intended to monetize it.

Expecting free use of it without any sort of ad exposure is completely unrealistic
Unrealistic expectations drive much of the product change and innovation we see. IMO, YouTube will eventually decide to monetize the site another way, maybe with ads outside of current model, likely with all or most of the revenue going to Alphabet, while returning YouTube to a mostly non-monetized platform for those who post to it.

Unrealistic expectations drive much of the product change and innovation we see. IMO, YouTube will eventually decide to monetize the site another way, maybe with ads outside of current model, likely with all or most of the revenue going to Alphabet, while returning YouTube to a mostly non-monetized platform for those who post to it.

If you don't want to see ads you can sign up for a membership.

If you don't want to see ads you can sign up for a membership.
The very best Ad Block of all time is for YouTube. I stopped watching vids there because of all the overset frames and interrupting ads in the middle of a vid. Now, much better. The only thing if you’re on an iPad is you have to open YouTube on another browser, since iPad Safari goes right to the YouTube App, which is incompatible with AdBlock.
I use Dolphin browser on my iPad for this purpose.

Back