Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Architects from 70 Countries bidding for Absolute Projec

Fantastic! I am looking forward very much to seeing these design proposals. This is a step forward for Mississauga City Centre.

I hope we can also see a few more such competitions for new projects around Toronto. I don't know what it cost them to hold this competition, but I would think they could recover costs through higher visibility and maybe a premium price for good design when selling the units. When this building comes to market I will watch with interest to see how quickly it sells out.

I think you guys are a bit overly optomistic about this competition. The results of these things are only as good as the jury they select, which in this case is stacked with architects that design lame condos (P&S being the most prominent) planners and representatives from the developer themselves. Even if the entries are exciting, I doubt what will finally be built will stray very far from the current stock of suburban residential buildings.

I agree, Mystery Man. I sincerely hope that this won't turn out to be a GTA version of Daniel Libeskind vs. David Childs over the Freedom Tower design.

I'm hoping for a Swedish firm to propose 'Absolut Condo' - a 60 storey condo in the shape of a vodka bottle would be awesome.

oh Mystery Man TO, so little faith in the future of Mississauga!

I guess we will have to prove you wrong!

Looking at the judging panel list, it certainly looks balance and includes international views from the Vancouver and London.

There will also be a public presentation of the proposals at Square One and in the Great Hall of Mississauga City Hall. I think it's a brilliant way to engage and inspire the public.

Louroz

The Emerald Cereal Box proposal looks interesting. I like the use of green glass, thick massing, and a simple rectangular shape :D

"with architects that design lame condos (P&S being the most prominent) "

P&S has come up with some decent designs. EI Richmond on the other hand ... think pre-cast, green glass, slab

I think you guys are a bit overly optomistic about this competition. The results of these things are only as good as the jury they select, which in this case is stacked with architects that design lame condos (P&S being the most prominent) planners and representatives from the developer themselves. Even if the entries are exciting, I doubt what will finally be built will stray very far from the current stock of suburban residential buildings.

Mystery,

The other major aspect to consider is cost. Fernbrook will only be able to dedicate resources to the project according to what consumers are willing to pay for in Mississauga. Mississauga City Centre has a higher price per square foot average than any other 905 centre and MCC is priced higher than Scarborough City Centre - however the $psf is still just over $300.

The quality of the tower is going to depend entirely on how strong the market is in Mississauga for a higher end product and what type of risks Fernbrook is willing to make. They could easily price themselves out of the marketplace if they are too agressive in their pricing. I highly doubt that location would even approach $400psf let alone even $350psf.

Nothing at all against Fernbrook, Mississauga or the competition, but in the end it is really just a numbers game.

You're right, Mike, it will come down to cost for any project chosen. Plus, there's the fact that the developer can build any building he wants, first prize winner or not. Sadly there are too many architectural competitions in which that is the case. The Berlin Embassy competition of a few years ago for example.

No matter which proposal gets chosen, I think the competition is good for architecture overall in the GTA. The way I see it, in the last while we've got Mississauga borrowing some good ideas from Toronto regarding 'urbanity' (hopefully), and maybe, you never know, Toronto may actually get a wacky idea or two from the good folks in Mississauga, such as design competition for landmark condo buildings, or a lack of height limits(!)...:p

It would be interesting to know why Fernbrook went this route, were they unhappy with the first 3 towers, are they truly trying to raise the bar, or is this just a very clever marketing gimick? It's interesting that they will be unveiling the finalists at a site in downtown Toronto.

Mystery Man:

KPMB won the Embassy project fair and square did they not?

Nope, KPMB were not chosen by the jury, the finalists were Saucier and Perrotte Architects.

The Berlin Ambassador's residence competition was a farse as well. That one went to KIIA after the ambassador looked at all the entries (after the jury had chosen a winner) and said he didn't like any of them. KIIA redesigned their project with a pitched roof and it got built.

Just saw the shortlisted designs.

If Mississauga builds either the MAD / Yansong Ma design, or the Michael Rojkind one, they'll move nicely ahead of Toronto in terms of visual delight.

BB or FM,

Are any of the short listed designs available online?

Or can you tell us any more details?

I expect they will be posted soon.

The Mexican ( Rojkind ) looks like a huge veinous body part, encased in a lattice-like exoskeleton.

The American ( Ma ) is a slim and curvaceous babe.

I just hope Mississauga has the guts to follow through and select either. The Canadian entries aren't nearly as much fun, hardly iconic, and quite frankly I have no idea how the Zeidler design got there.

Back