Absolute World Condos (Cityzen, Fernbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

I watched from my balcony today and it's probably about half of drivers who make the exit from the garage the wrong way. Many don't know better but I think even some who do know, are simply too lazy to go around properly.

In this picture, you can see another flaw in the design with respect to the guardhouse. Once you have more than 2 cars waiting to speak to security, none of the residents can get by on the right side to pass through the gate (the lowest gate closest to the building is fob activated. Many nights there is a cue that winds out onto the road of people waiting to get in. You can also enter between buildings 80 and 90, but it shouldn't have to get to that. The entry way is just too narrow for access to 5 highrises (+townhomes).

2013-08-27 10.37.52.jpg

Since I was taking pictures (and videos of bad drivers), I thought I would snap some of the rooftop amenities, as I don't recall seeing them posted before. The first shows the fitness and entertainment center. Rooftop patio with bbq area to the left and outdoor pool on the right. There is an indoor pool, as well as the rest of the 35,000 sq' of gym, track, theatre, guest suites, etc...

Second shows the rooftop of the townhomes along Burnhamthorpe, at the bases of 70 and 80 Absolute. There is also a rooftop space between 50 and 60 as well (the two curvy buildings) but my balcony doesn't look over that area. It similar to these pics, but more "square" or geometric in terms of layout of grass, patios, etc...

Sorry for pic quality - was using my phone. Also, not sure why I can't remove the unused attachments. I guess they go away on their own in an hour??

2013-08-27 10.26.38.jpg

2013-08-27 10.27.40.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-08-27 10.26.38.jpg
    2013-08-27 10.26.38.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 2013-08-27 10.37.52.jpg
    2013-08-27 10.37.52.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 2013-08-27 10.27.40.jpg
    2013-08-27 10.27.40.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,361
Last edited:
Given the fact that nearly 3/4 of the drivers in Mississauga shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place, these idiots will never learn until they run into someone and then blame the other driver.

Wasn't impress with these entrances from day one.

Since you are on a high floor, you should grab some skyline panorama view and watch the view change over the next few decades. Should take shots every 3-5 years.

I have taken views of all the intersections in the core every 5 years and you can see the changes.

The views of the roofs are something most of us don't see after completion.

Since you are on a high floor, you should grab some skyline panorama view and watch the view change over the next few decades. Should take shots every 3-5 years.
I won't be here long enough to make it worth starting such an endeavor. I don't have complaints, per se, but aside from very good access to the 403, I'm not "at home" with this particular location. I think other parts of MCC will end up with a far more walkable, neighborhood feel.

I can also confirm that as of last night, they are cladding those awkward elements around the podium. I didn't think to take any pics this morning, but it looks like gloss white finish with much more 'mass' to them than the support structure. I'll try to get pics later.

Living here, I can't tell you how many morons don't know how to use the roundabout (both buildings enter through the right most garage door in that pic).

They'll come out of the garage and hang a left to go straight toward that guardhouse/exit and just yesterday, someone entering the property did the same thing after passing the guardhouse - going left against the circle to go towards the other 3 building where that picture was taken from. Hand gestures between him and drivers coming the other way were funny, as it was temporarily impassible due to a catering van also being parked to one side.

They've put up "one way" signs and "no left turn" signs, but about 1/3 of drivers still exit the parking garage and go the wrong way.

I see this all the time. I think its just become a habit for these guys. Overall i'm quite disappointed with the traffic flow and parking garage designs. That underground garage is a scary place to be!

So it looks like they have installed a second LCD touchscreen in the elevators at Absolute! The screen looks like an extra large iPad and features weather, news, and building notice widgets. They're cool but I wish they would improve the speed of the elevators before adding these.
IMG_5762.jpg
IMG_5755.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_5755.jpg
    IMG_5755.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
The elevators are fast, it's just that people have a habit of impatiently hitting both buttons and forcing stops on floors that are not needed. I've never been in a building where more phantom stops are made than 50 Absolute.

Further - since the strike - there has been little to no service being done and the elevator doors themselves are much nosier than they need to be. The tracks are not properly leveled and the doors vibrate and/or squeak in a way that <2 year old elevators should not. They are very simple maintenance concerns that could be handled in a day if they would call someone in for service. I wonder if the touchscreen install crew are from OTIS or elsewhere...

A further concern I have is the poor wayfinding signage. Lots of things were overlooked - like which banks of elevators service which sets of floors, or even the elevator numbers - and pieces of paper taped to the marble walls now do the job. I've actually gone into the management offices of both 50 and 60 and offered to help with this (I have a background in the sign biz) but got zero response.

It looks like there is still a large backlog with the elevator crews/routine maintenance.

My building (Park 570 in Mississauga) went into occupancy in March 2013, and the elevator guys never totally finished installation (panels aren't screwed in and are held up with tape, button bulbs been out since day 1 etc). Six months later and the elevators are super slow, bang and shake, have big scrapes on the doors and generally don't work well. It's only a 4 storey building, so I'm guessing the mid and high rises get dibs :(

The elevators are fast, it's just that people have a habit of impatiently hitting both buttons and forcing stops on floors that are not needed. I've never been in a building where more phantom stops are made than 50 Absolute.

Further - since the strike - there has been little to no service being done and the elevator doors themselves are much nosier than they need to be. The tracks are not properly leveled and the doors vibrate and/or squeak in a way that <2 year old elevators should not. They are very simple maintenance concerns that could be handled in a day if they would call someone in for service. I wonder if the touchscreen install crew are from OTIS or elsewhere...

A further concern I have is the poor wayfinding signage. Lots of things were overlooked - like which banks of elevators service which sets of floors, or even the elevator numbers - and pieces of paper taped to the marble walls now do the job. I've actually gone into the management offices of both 50 and 60 and offered to help with this (I have a background in the sign biz) but got zero response.

While that may be part of the problem, there is clearly something else wrong. Why else would people feel the need to press both buttons in the first place? I've never encountered this in any apartment or office building i've been in - let alone one thats brand new. Also, while I have experienced the "phantom" stops I haven't encountered them enough for me think that that this was the main problem.

As for the elevator strike, I seem to recall the elevators being slow well before they went on strike. I do agree with you on the signs though. They need something a little more permanent (and aesthetically pleasing) than those 8x11 sheets of paper.

Now if only they installed touchscreens in the elevator lobbies so that we would have something to read while we wait!

In this picture, you can see another flaw in the design with respect to the guardhouse. Once you have more than 2 cars waiting to speak to security, none of the residents can get by on the right side to pass through the gate (the lowest gate closest to the building is fob activated. Many nights there is a cue that winds out onto the road of people waiting to get in. You can also enter between buildings 80 and 90, but it shouldn't have to get to that. The entry way is just too narrow for access to 5 highrises (+townhomes).

View attachment 17244
View attachment 17249

I have been in 60 since the beginning. I would love to meet the person who came up with the gate house entrance idea and strangle them. TWO freaking visitor cars waiting to get into 5 massive buildings and the entrance is not wide enough so any of the tenants or owners can get it. It's atrocious. The visitor parking size for 50/60 Absolute is laughable. Within my first 5 days of living here, a stoner owner who has a parking spot on p6 but regularly parks in p1 visitor because he is lazy to drive down 6 levels, reversed into my car without even looking. He paid for damages but was reluctant and stubborn. I could write a book about the stuff I've encountered living in this building.

I got my next door neighbor who was a renter, kicked out of the building. Turns out she was a prostitute, I don't even want to mention the stories. The owner has since moved in and is very good.

On a lighter note, I got a tour of penthouse suite floor 56 of 60 Absolute today. Pretty awesome view. I recall reading that some rich Argentinian business man purchased the unit for like $3.5 mil quite a while ago. Maybe the deal fell through, but it's still not fully complete inside (hence why 1 express elevator is still boarded up). The current owner decided to change the kitchen and brought in some contractors from Germany to complete it. The view was stunning, 3500sq ft condo. The balcony flooring was all finished with tiles instead of the chunky dirty cement everyone else has.

Even though 60 Absolute has been operational before 50, we are behind on many things due to a shady board of director. We just had a new vote for the board yesterday, hopefully things will change soon.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the retail is still empty?

Last edited:
While that may be part of the problem, there is clearly something else wrong. Why else would people feel the need to press both buttons in the first place? I've never encountered this in any apartment or office building i've been in - let alone one thats brand new. Also, while I have experienced the "phantom" stops I haven't encountered them enough for me think that that this was the main problem.

As for the elevator strike, I seem to recall the elevators being slow well before they went on strike. I do agree with you on the signs though. They need something a little more permanent (and aesthetically pleasing) than those 8x11 sheets of paper.

Now if only they installed touchscreens in the elevator lobbies so that we would have something to read while we wait!

Another problem with these elevators is that there is a reset tab at the very top of the door as you enter the elevator. I catch people hitting it all the time and give them shit immediately.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the retail is still empty?
The retail units were purchased, just like the condos, and are now available for lease. I haven't looked into what they're asking, but my hunch is that they bought with the same kind of speculatory mindset that a lot of the units sold for and are now simply too expensive for the kind of tenants that are inquiring.

Town & Country Market was supposed to occupy the main unit in the middle (they are on Duke of York now, South of Burnhamthorpe), but still nothing. The lack of easy parking access really limits who will bother to move in as it has to be pedestrian based. This is a good thing, mind you, but the owners of said units may have been expecting something else.

Another problem with these elevators is that there is a reset tab at the very top of the door as you enter the elevator. I catch people hitting it all the time and give them shit immediately.
I've seen that happen too, and might be another explanation as to why they seem so delayed some times. There could be 4 people waiting for an up elevator from parking and then some self serving douchebag resets the elevator on ground - after pressing down - so that he can take the elevator upwards instead.

Those reset levers are not unique to these buildings, though - I've seen them elsewhere.

When I moved into 60 in Feb, I was told that the 48th floor lounge was almost done and would open in a month or two. I've been told the same thing every month since, though about a week ago I did notice the whole floor lit up at night - so perhaps they are actually close. I think they need the penthouses to sell - in both buildings - in order to re-direct that revenue towards some of the unfinished work.

Back