News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

A YUS Idea

Ervin

Member Bio
Reaction score
When the Younge subway extension to Richmondhill is finished, not all trains will terminate at Richmondhill, instead about half of the trains will actually stop at Finch an simply turn around. My idea is instead of turning around at finch the line should instead split, with a new line going several stations West on Steels (a street where the frequent buses are already crowded) down to Steels station on the Spadina line, where it will terminate.

Although judging by the growth rate of the subway system, this is very unlikely to ever happen, I still want some thoughts on this.

When the Younge subway extension to Richmondhill is finished, not all trains will terminate at Richmondhill, instead about half of the trains will actually stop at Finch an simply turn around. My idea is instead of turning around at finch the line should instead split, with a new line going several stations West on Steels (a street where the frequent buses are already crowded) down to Steels station on the Spadina line, where it will terminate.

Although judging by the growth rate of the subway system, this is very unlikely to ever happen, I still want some thoughts on this.

The plan for the Yonge extension is for half to turn back at Steeles (not Finch).

It creates network connectivity, but an extension of Sheppard to Downsview would accomplish the same goal (more or less) with a shorter route and fewer operating difficulties.

Hopefully the Spadina extension will convince more people from downtown to use the Spadina line to Steeles leaving the Steeles bus to serve people in the area and who live along the Yonge line north of Bloor. The Eglinton line will make another crossing point, as will any eventual extension on Sheppard.

The TTC used to plan to "loop" the "U" but changed their mind somewhere along the way in the planning for the Spadina extension. So no, I don't think this is going to happen.

Didn't you hear, subways are witchcraft, better just avoid them and make trams in their place ya know. Perhaps even convert existing routes to trams, as trams are so cool!

Trams also build neighbourhoods. Subways don't.

Ya, if we are talking about the cornfields/open prarie land, then yeah. That's how trams worked. The transit companies would build these lines out to nowhere and all of a sudden development would spring up. Many lines failed because they were built for the land speculation more so than other things. So yeah, totally on man totally.

edit: Oh shit, your post was sarcasm. LOL didn't see it for a moment.

You are forgetting a very important point......the TTC "doesn't do" interlining. Just as elevated/at grade subways are heresy so are interlines.
If the City or it's soon to me mayor had a lick of sense they would extend the Sheppard to Downsview but instead of determinating it there they would interline it northbound with Spadina for a couple of stations where it could then head east at Finch to Jane and points eastward. They are going to spend a cool billion on Finch so why not use that money for a Finch/Spadina/sheppard subway for seemless transfer free rapid transit?
Alas the TTC has a determined mindset of making sure that the TTC has as many transfers { a la TransferCity} as possible to make their trip as painful and slow as possible.
All Vancouver's SkyTrain lines use interling making it blissfully easy to transfer by simply getting off the train, not move 2 feet and wait for the next train and you are off to a new destination.

Ahem...we interline heavily on our surface routes. We don't on our subways because we can't. Those individual lines are basically maxed out, such that any interlined segment would instantly bottleneck the entire system, cutting it's overall capacity basically in half.

Last edited:
Personally, I would love for this to be built, because it puts a subway stop near my house, but overall, I don't think it's a good idea.

I currently use the Spadina line to go downtown, but with this line, I (and anyone else on Steeles) would start using the Yonge line instead, adding unnecessary pressure on the already over-capacity line.

I think extending the Sheppard line to Downsview would be preferable, because it's cheaper, easier to operate, creates a continuous east-west corridor and would probably have more demand.

Last edited:
I would think it would make more sense to do this the other way around. Make it a branch of the Spadina extension, starting north of Finch and curving through the industrial lands to Bathurst and Steeles, then Yonge and Steeles. Spadina-University has more capacity, and could intercept passengers along Yonge coming south from York Region with the promise of a quicker ride downtown (maybe). That said, I still don't think its a great idea.

You are forgetting a very important point......the TTC "doesn't do" interlining. Just as elevated/at grade subways are heresy so are interlines.
If the City or it's soon to me mayor had a lick of sense they would extend the Sheppard to Downsview but instead of determinating it there they would interline it northbound with Spadina for a couple of stations where it could then head east at Finch to Jane and points eastward. They are going to spend a cool billion on Finch so why not use that money for a Finch/Spadina/sheppard subway for seemless transfer free rapid transit?
Alas the TTC has a determined mindset of making sure that the TTC has as many transfers { a la TransferCity} as possible to make their trip as painful and slow as possible.
All Vancouver's SkyTrain lines use interling making it blissfully easy to transfer by simply getting off the train, not move 2 feet and wait for the next train and you are off to a new destination.

+1. I'm no transit planner but connecting NYCC and STC to York University could (would?) push ridership up near 10 000 riders per hour. I mean what's the current ridership on the express bus from Downsview?

Add in the developing Downsview lands and Sheppeard E corridor as well

Back