Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

Why do they have to demolish buildings in this city when there are hundreds of parking lots, makes no sense.

What do you do if you want to develop a great building but don't happen to own one of those parking lots. They aren't all for sale. Most are owned by large companies for their own future development.

It's especially disappointing that they're going to demolish this tower considering that the large open square in the middle of the building would probably allow them to build something directly over top of the existing structure. In addition, given the choice of architects, I get the sense that this will not be a luxury product, which is unfortunate given the location.

From AndrewJM3D at Skyscraper City:

As promised earlier some pictures of the building in question. From what I can tell from walking around it today the shell of it is about the only thing that has any historical value left. It looks like half of it go a facade job back in the 80's not to mention two additional floors. IMO it would make a great base for a super tall.

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

All in all, a comparatively "uninspiring" example of architecture from that era. Given the obvious hack jobs that it's already endured over the years, I've become more amenable to this building getting a facadectomy if it means the exterior getting restored to its original condition. Still, this location really should be designated for an office tower.

I passed by the existing building yesterday. It looks a bit like a 20's building that had a makeover/extension in the 80's. A little plain and Frankenstein-ish but I like it! Does anyone know its history?

The original building was on the Scott/Wellington corner. The "atrium" was built on a parking lot to the west on Wellington and a few floors added on top in the 80's. I took this pic from the roof of a Colborne St. building in the late 70's which shows the building pre-addition:

2007-09-02-1156-59.jpg

An earlier shot from the Toronto Archives 1959, looking up Scott St.:

s0372_ss0100_it0431.jpg

And in its pre-war and post-war context:

CN002876-1.jpg

lookingeast-1.jpg

Last edited:
From AndrewJM3D at Skyscraper City:

All in all, a comparatively "uninspiring" example of architecture from that era. Given the obvious hack jobs that it's already endured over the years, I've become more amenable to this building getting a facadectomy if it means the exterior getting restored to its original condition. Still, this location really should be designated for an office tower.

Isn't this then an argument for razing the site and starting with a clean slate? Why incorporate "uninspiring, hacked-up" architecture"? This tendency of Toronto is becoming eccentric.

And besides, let's not be too harsh on the additions; they evidently paid reverent late-modern/early-postmodern tribute to the original building. Maybe not on a Pei level; but, still.

Isn't this then an argument for razing the site and starting with a clean slate? Why incorporate "uninspiring, hacked-up" architecture"? This tendency of Toronto is becoming eccentric.

One Bedford being the most egregious example. Now if this building had survived.........

f1231_it0757.jpg

+1

Toronto is a really hacked-up city of propped up facades. I'm almost starting to think that this will become our "style" - if it only it wasn't so embarrassing.

The debate about heritage preservation aside, I'm willing to bet that the restored exterior of the existing building would blow out of the water anything that P+S came up with on their own. For that reason, I'd much prefer a facadectomy over the building being razed to the ground. If it were a different architectural firm, that would be a different story.

40 Scott isn't an outstanding building but I've always loved it for its quiet, understated elegance. It's a successful "fabric" building that gives depth to Toronto's architectural heritage. The original PWA Moderne-influenced section on Scott and Wellington should be saved in its entirety. That won't happen, of course. Sigh.

Last edited:

Back