88 Scott St. (Concert Properties) - Real Estate -

You're in the core of the city. If the view is currently unobstructed, there is a good chance it will be obstructed in the future. In my opinion, you don't buy here expecting a guaranteed view.

It's not so black and white. There are indeed places in the core where you can be pretty confident there will be no development in the medium term.

what do u guys think of a plan C2 unit 1 br + den + locker, 581 sf @ $384000?

IMO that's a horrible plan for the amount of space available ... why even bother with a den with 581 sf ?!?

As Ric notec, the LR is way too short. In fact, counter overhang is usually 1 ft so that only leaves 8 ft 3" available and those stools will be getting in the way with traffic circulation, etc.

Positives:
- 100+ sqft bedroom with window
- large closet in bedroom (almost 8 ft)

Negatives:
- very shallow LR/DR area of 8 ft

Preferred layout:
- eliminate den and move bathroom there
- move kitchen up to where bathroom was, to enlarge LR/DR to 12'0" x 15'3"

The living room is wayyyyyy too short (9'3"). If you take away 6 inches for the counter overhang u r left with only 8'9" for total living area. What floor is this located on? What's the ceiling height? Is your view obstructed at this level? If not, will it be in the future? All these will determine if price is ok. Personally the living room is a deal breaker for me.

Older however means higher maintenance fees.

not necessarily. alot of older condos in the city charge $0.60 psf and that includes heating and cooling in their units.

alot of the newer condos are charging $0.50+ psf for basic common elements and everything else is metered in the units.
keep in mind, that $0.50 is the advertised rate which goes up after year 2 and then the owner is on the hook for more.

It's not so black and white. There are indeed places in the core where you can be pretty confident there will be no development in the medium term.

I wouldn't rely on confidence. I’ve seen many situations where confidence in a proposed view has failed.

What’s medium term anyway? We have at least four years before occupancy begins at 88 Scott.

The tiny living room is definitely a deal breaker. Having a 8' wide living room is unacceptible, even for a bedroom, and once you consider another foot for room for bar stools to move around it makes for very cramped living. Don't even think about having company over for dinner.
The kitchen should have been L-shaped at the corner so that you could fit a small dining table in the middle and will create a more open living space while having a real place to eat at.
The unit is also directly in front of the elevators which will be noisier.

No, because Maple Leaf Square looks blah and commands close to $700 PSF, thanks to its location, which matters more. 88 Scott is one of the best locations for a condo in our fair city.

With that said, as others have mentioned, I'd pass on this unit. Maybe wait for Yonge + Rich, Harbour Plaza or Casa 3 before deciding. Assuming this is for investment purposes, and not end use.

Anybody concerned about the exterior look affecting prices considering how crappy the top of Berczy is turning out?

Crappy? you gotta be kidding me. Probably the top is not as good as the bottom, but c`mon Berczy is one of the best if not the best project going on in downtown Toronto, located in the best corner in downtown. The bottom part is the best that we have seen in new construction condos. there are hundreds of people looking for an unit in this sold out project and I am pretty sure that many of them are willing to pay $700 psf for this project.

The Berczy condo is totally in a great location but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the top section is crappy. The base is cool but the grey glass cladding on the top sucks. The one good thing for Berczy is that it is short and the top is only a few floors. If they go with the same style cladding here you'll see 58 crappy floors.

The Berczy condo is totally in a great location but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the top section is crappy. The base is cool but the grey glass cladding on the top sucks. The one good thing for Berczy is that it is short and the top is only a few floors. If they go with the same style cladding here you'll see 58 crappy floors.

From your comments it sounds like you don't understand architecture. I'm no expert but I have enough insight to know 88 Scott is a completely different design and use of materials. It's not 58 floors of the same grey cladding used at the Berczy. It has a podium that uses the existing material from the current structure and the tower design is completely different.

From your comments it sounds like you don't understand architecture. I'm no expert but I have enough insight to know 88 Scott is a completely different design and use of materials. It's not 58 floors of the same grey cladding used at the Berczy. It has a podium that uses the existing material from the current structure and the tower design is completely different.

The renderings for 88 Scott quite clearly show that they will be using spandrel on the tower. It has the potential to look just as awful.

Will look way worse. Berczy only has a few floors of spandrel. This has 50 or something. 88 Scott will standout horribly downtown.

Will look way worse. Berczy only has a few floors of spandrel. This has 50 or something. 88 Scott will standout horribly downtown.

Standout horribly against what - all the other spandrel?

Why jump the gun so quick? 88 Scott wont necessarly have the the same cladding execution as The Berczy.

Back