Toronto 88 Queen | 167.35m | 52s | St Thomas Dev | Hariri Pontarini

I'd love to see this horror finally get erased from sight. I wouldn't mind seeing some significant height here towards the north end of the lot, but not more than about 5 or 6 stories directly on Queen. Let's expand that skyline eastward!

I can easily see some new office towers there. The location would be much better than, say anything south of the railtracks, the so-called "south downtown", as it is downtown and 5 minutes walking distance from Queen subway station and Eaton Centre, and the Bay.

Given the size, the potential is huge. I'd also like to have some large scaled retail in that block, rather than another 30 story tall condo. At present, there is hardly anything to see or do downtown east of Victoria st, which is almost dead north of St Lawrence Market and south of the Wellesley Village. The development can vastly transform this area, bring life to Queen East on both sides as well as Shutter St, where there are some condos to be under construction, and greatly expand our downtown core. Retail/business should expand eastwards, not south and further west, as it will be further away from the subway line. Also the potential DRL will likely go under Queen East as well.

Like the area between University and Spadina, downtown between Yonge and Jarvis should be full of life and footsteps. If Regent Park can be revitalized, I can't see a reason this area can't.

I can easily see some new office towers there. The location would be much better than, say anything south of the railtracks, the so-called "south downtown", as it is downtown and 5 minutes walking distance from Queen subway station and Eaton Centre, and the Bay.

Great location for an office tower..we just have to hope that Oxford, Brookfield, or Cadillac Fairview purchase the property...anyone else and its, condo, condo, condo.:D

Exciting news...hopefully we can get a compromise between a bunch of towers and Cathedral Square - something like The Well perhaps?

Cathedral Square - as presented - was a creative but impossible proposal for this site. It's just too narrow for what 3D proposed. Something which breaks up the block with pedestrian mews a la The Well could work though.

It'll be interesting to see which architect they go with and what how many storeys they pursue. The north end is limited by St. Michael's Hospital helicopter flight paths while the south fronts on Queen, where many won't want to see much height either.

One of many (many!) appropriate sites in the city for a development with cross-block linkages / pedestrian mews along the lines of The Well.

FINALLY. I've been eagerly awaiting this for so long. During the school year I walk by this every day on my way to George Brown and curse this parking lot's wasteful existence.

potentially a few condo towers for 1000 suites with retail.

http://www.torontocondoboutique.com/88-queen-street-east-condos/

Consider the beautiful heritage buildings on the south side of Queen, I would prefer something like the Well for Queen E's consistency, with red brick midrises on Queen (restaurants and cafes) and some towers further north closer to Shutter, along with boutique retail, including grocery.

I also noticed most of the pawn shops at Queen/Church moved out and some properties are for lease. This area might transform within the next decade. I wish the tacky yellow house, the one story salon and the Asian fusion restaurant were bought and demolished as well. The NE corner of Church and Queen East could have a new face.

Anyway, best news for this month.

Last edited:

I wish the tacky yellow house, the one story salon and the Asian fusion restaurant were bought and demolished as well. The NE corner of Church and Queen East could have a new face.

Anyway, best news for this month.

Couldn't agree more. All the way to the Save more / Endz / less-than-$10-shop.

apparently this will consist of three residential buildings x 45 stories + one 8 storey building totaling 1,000,000 sq ft. of residential + 250,000 sq. ft. of retail/commercial

apparently this will consist of three residential buildings x 45 stories + one 8 storey building totaling 1,000,000 sq ft. of residential + 250,000 sq. ft. of retail/commercial

If there really are limitations due to a flight path then that is understandable. Otherwise we should definitely be going for over 200m here to give this area a real punch in the arm.

200 plus metres is very tall and seems out of place for this block especially when mulitple towers are a given.

Back