Toronto 88 Condos (Ei8hty8 Condos) | ?m | 35s | Minto Group | Rafael + Bigauskas

In response:

You have two subway lines serving the area. Bring on the intensification!

The fact that “you have two subway lines serving the area†has little relevance to many of the traffic problems in the immediate area of this project. As the City Councillor mentioned at the meeting, the planners who decided that this section of North York should undergo drastic intensification 25 or so years ago “assumed†that the majority of the residents would use subways for the bulk of their commuting. However, he stated that the reality is that the vast majority of residents in the area have chosen and continue to choose to use their cars, notwithstanding the “two subway lines in the areaâ€.

Therefore, the “bring on the intensification†mantra will only result in additional road traffic chaos in the area, along with the accompanying pedestrian safety problems. What is even more troubling is the large number of students who must navigate the already dangerous intersections on their way to and from both the Cardinal Carter School for the Arts (grades 7 through 12), and the younger children who attend the Claude Watson School for the Arts, which is an elementary school serving grades 4 through 8. The “two subway lines in the area†have little relevance to this problem.

That (the hydro problems) needs to be fixed whether the tower goes in or not.

With respect to the numerous blackouts in the area, nobody at Hydro or the City of Toronto appears to be willing to accept responsibility for this problem. I (as have some of my neighbours) have contacted various officials on several occasions, and all they do is “pass the buck†(that is, if they are even willing to admit that the problem exists.) It appears to be an example of a lack of accountability that is present at the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.

The take-away message from this post is that local residents can only ever see the sky falling when something new gets proposed. In places where there is this much infrastructure, more density is inevitable. If you want peace and quiet, go find a farm on the outskirts that's being ploughed under for suburban tract housing. If you'd prefer to stay where you are, and you want to make the place you already live better, than try to work with your local city councilor and planners and the developer to ensure improvements to the public realm, both aesthetic and practical, as new density comes to town - - - because it's coming, and that's not going to stop.

“Try to work with your local city councillor and planners and the developerâ€? I don’t think so. The councillor stated that he had “no knowledge of the hydro infrastructure problemsâ€. The City Planning Department states that hydro infrastructure is not its responsibility, and that Toronto Hydro was not even consulted with respect to this development project. Toronto Hydro claims that “this matter does not fall under our purview – ask the City Planning Department!†Finally, the developer understandably denies that any infrastructure or traffic safety and congestion problems even exist (several attendees at the meeting inferred that the developer’s traffic studies were biased).

I, along with some other local residents, am not opposed to intensification per se in urban areas, as long as the critical infrastructure is maintained and upgraded to support such intensification. This clearly has not occurred in the Yonge-Sheppard area.

In response:

You have two subway lines serving the area. Bring on the intensification!

The fact that “you have two subway lines serving the area†has little relevance to many of the traffic problems in the immediate area of this project. As the City Councillor mentioned at the meeting, the planners who decided that this section of North York should undergo drastic intensification 25 or so years ago “assumed†that the majority of the residents would use subways for the bulk of their commuting. However, he stated that the reality is that the vast majority of residents in the area have chosen and continue to choose to use their cars, notwithstanding the “two subway lines in the areaâ€.

Therefore, the “bring on the intensification†mantra will only result in additional road traffic chaos in the area, along with the accompanying pedestrian safety problems. What is even more troubling is the large number of students who must navigate the already dangerous intersections on their way to and from both the Cardinal Carter School for the Arts (grades 7 through 12), and the younger children who attend the Claude Watson School for the Arts, which is an elementary school serving grades 4 through 8. The “two subway lines in the area†have little relevance to this problem.

I'm unsure why anyone around here should have any sympathy for you when what you've essentially stated is that 'this area may have excellent subway access, but I want to drive my car so that's what I'm going to do.' Often problems with transit stem from a lack of service (in terms of the built infrastructure) or service frequencies (how often a transit vehicle travels along that corridor). At two or three hundred meters to a major transit station, there's no reasonable ground for you and your cloaked anti-growth cohort to stand on (the 'I, along with some other local residents, am not opposed to intensification per se in urban areas...' caveat is nice, but you've already stated your true feelings in previous paragraphs/posts).

If you have an issue with the vehicular traffic in the area then get on the damn subway and stop acting like the choice that you've made (to stay in your car) is one you were forced into (or provide some proof to the contrary). What's more, if you ally your Helen Lovejoy-esque, 'won't somebody think of the children' plea to your earlier complaint that there have been a number of pedestrian injuries due to increased car use, what may (and should) result is a pedestrian study to lower vehicular speeds and introduce traffic calming measures along this stretch of Sheppard. The result of this will of course mean that you and your car will be moving even slower than you do now but hey, it's all for the kids right?

To ProjectEnd,

I already use the "damn subway" and do not own a car. No need to get rude and sarcastic.

Brooder does bring up some valid points. He is not anti-development, but is genuinely concerned with what is happening in the area. There's nothing wrong with that and I think it's important to not "trash" him simply based on that. This is a forum for open debate, but I often find that the veterans tend to become demeaning to those that are new. It was brought up before, we shouldn't be scaring people away from this forum, but rather allowing them to engage in healthy debate.

The simple fact is, Yonge and Sheppard *IS* a traffic nightmare. Brooder is right, with all the new development coming into the area, it will only get worse. Why is that? I think taal is the one that mentioned this last year - that everyone floods in and out of the area in the morning and in and out during rush hour. He brought up the point that there should be more office buildings in the area, so that people will not have to drive in/out of the area to go work downtown or wherever. The majority of people are car dependent because it's convenient for them and faster at times. A friend of mine worked right at Yonge and Sheppard and lived in Scarborough. He took the car to work because it was faster for him than to bus from Ellesmere and Birchmount. Despite the two subway lines, you will not get most people out of their cars.

With all the development (Hullmark Centre, Emerald Park, Gibson Square, Centrium, Bravo, 88, Pearl2, Savvy, Celscius, St. George and all other projects) - what is happening to the hydro infastructure? Surely it would need to be updated to serve all these new developments. Are the developers required to put forth a certain amount of money for such improvements? Or is the bill passed on to taxpayers?

Brooder does bring up some valid points. He is not anti-development, but is genuinely concerned with what is happening in the area. There's nothing wrong with that and I think it's important to not "trash" him simply based on that. This is a forum for open debate, but I often find that the veterans tend to become demeaning to those that are new. It was brought up before, we shouldn't be scaring people away from this forum, but rather allowing them to engage in healthy debate.

The simple fact is, Yonge and Sheppard *IS* a traffic nightmare. Brooder is right, with all the new development coming into the area, it will only get worse. Why is that? I think taal is the one that mentioned this last year - that everyone floods in and out of the area in the morning and in and out during rush hour. He brought up the point that there should be more office buildings in the area, so that people will not have to drive in/out of the area to go work downtown or wherever. The majority of people are car dependent because it's convenient for them and faster at times. A friend of mine worked right at Yonge and Sheppard and lived in Scarborough. He took the car to work because it was faster for him than to bus from Ellesmere and Birchmount. Despite the two subway lines, you will not get most people out of their cars.

With all the development (Hullmark Centre, Emerald Park, Gibson Square, Centrium, Bravo, 88, Pearl2, Savvy, Celscius, St. George and all other projects) - what is happening to the hydro infastructure? Surely it would need to be updated to serve all these new developments. Are the developers required to put forth a certain amount of money for such improvements? Or is the bill passed on to taxpayers?

i suggested before a on and off ramp to the 401 in between yonge and bayview would help the traffic situation significantly

The problem with NYCC is the ring roads and the lack of major north/south routes over the 401. Everything is forced onto Yonge, Sheppard and Finch. Imagine if the only way on and off the Gardiner were ramps at Bayview, Yonge or Bathurst? And at the same time imagine if the only way to these ramps or past south of the ramps from Front to Lake Shore was Bayview, Yonge or Bathurst (and off course the only routes to Bayview or Bathurst were Front, Dundas or Bloor. The subways help but there's no way the subways can solve this alone.

The idea that the local new condo owners driving up the traffic in the area is overblown in my opinion. I live and drive in the area and I think Ed is closer to the real reasons for the congestion. Outside of small sections like the Avondale area that has limited escape routes, or the ring roads close to the 401 funnels the traffic doesn't seem remarkable.

Think about it, the area is right beside the busiest section of the busiest highway in North America. It has a massive ravine that cuts through a portion of it. In the morning I definitely notice MANY more cars trying to get into the area then trying to leave it. The lineups coming from the north to get onto the 401 are immense at Yonge & Bayview. Unlike south of the 401 which have accesses at Avenue Rd, and partially at Bathurst. From the north to access the 401 your options are Bayview, Yonge, and then the distant Allen. This isn't just local traffic trying to get onto the 401. Think Newtonbrook, Thornhill, Richmond Hill (not just NYCC) and all the areas much north that are intensifying.

To compound matters, because of the ravine and 401, those same streets (Yonge & Bayview) are the only ones that cross south of the 401. If north of the 401 there was options like Avenue Rd or Mt Pleasant type arterials the traffic would be like any other intensified section of Yonge further in town.

The location is also a magnet for schools, jobs and subway. Many locals (mainly home owners, but also many condo owners) rent out driveway or parking space which attracts even more drivers into the area so they can either walk to their jobs or get on the subway.

I haven't noticed any hydro issues at all (but I'm on the west side). But I do agree with Brooder about being a pedestrian in the area. Crossing some of the intersections in the area can be quite scary and lots of cars passing through the area drive very aggressive. There should definitely be some review about how to make some of these crossings safer... and get rid of the cross-walks on the ring roads and put up real lights!

which is why i am supporting a extra on off ramp and a willowdale station.

You'll never see another interchange get built on the 401 between Yonge and Bayview: it would be too close to Yonge and Bayview. The Ministry of Transportation requires two km between interchanges now. The only way to get around that is to weave on and off ramps around each other. To do that you need a wider highway. All of that would cost an incredible amount because of the expropriation required. It will never happen.

Willowdale station would be a good idea at some point soon.

You'll never see another interchange get built on the 401 between Yonge and Bayview: it would be too close to Yonge and Bayview. The Ministry of Transportation requires two km between interchanges now. The only way to get around that is to weave on and off ramps around each other. To do that you need a wider highway. All of that would cost an incredible amount because of the expropriation required. It will never happen.

Willowdale station would be a good idea at some point soon.

even a off ramp like bathurst which is only accessable by west bound traffic would be helpful. and a on ramp that only goes west as well. then you dont need big on ramp doughnuts. downtown wouldnt be able to survive with only one or two ramps and they should make an exception for this area as well.

i do think it would be more helpful to have a ramp going onto the east bound 401 because i am assuming alot of the cars would be heading to the dvp and downtown. id like to know where all the traffic in the area is coming and going to. ill assuming its coming from the eastt and going to the east most often though. east - markham via 404, downtown via dvp, scarborough, pickering. west has options to but they are much further swsy.

Last edited:
I face this site (2 Forest Laneway). Today I noticed that they had surveyors there around the parking lot and there are several red stake markers as well as red paint marks. Office says construction to being in February.

April 17
8661517436_e70daa676a_b.jpg

8660418113_c2173361f3_b.jpg

8660419517_4faaa4571d_b.jpg

Back