News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

842 Gerrard Street East (Matas Homes, 14s, Icon Architects) WITHDRAWN

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://twitter.com/urbanation

Rendering of new condo coming to 842 Gerrard Street East at Carlaw Avenue: http://twitpic.com/7prjqe

466538918.jpg

This type of development is excellent news for this area and this intersection specifically. Gerrard and Carlaw is a pretty blightful intersection with the railway track disecting it on two sides. This pretty much blanks-out two of the four corners. leaving only the dog park and this plazza property. Replacing the plazza will go a long way to revitalizing the street.

I suspect that some will be unhappy with this development given its height and proximity to Riverdale. But if done right it could easily fit into the canvas. The height and scale is similar to the corner of Bathurst and College and the mid-rises there do not take away from Little Italy.

If this goes forward, it will effectively tie in the development trend south of the tracks along Carlaw to the Gerrard corridor and hopefully spur some other improvements along Gerrard (ideally on the south side between Carlaw and Degrassi).

I suspect that some will be unhappy with this development given its height and proximity to Riverdale. But if done right it could easily fit into the canvas. The height and scale is similar to the corner of Bathurst and College and the mid-rises there do not take away from Little Italy.

Looks decent, though perhaps a few too many floors given there's nothing but low-rise in the immediate vicinity. On the other hand maybe that's okay since its across from the raised rail line. The tallest at Bathurst & College is 9 floors, this looks about 14. Speaking of that intersection, it would be great if something filled that parking lot on the SW corner across from Sneaky Dee's...

There are a couple of shorter former industrial buildings on the side streets to the north west of this proposal, including a condo conversion on the east side of Logan - as well as that rogue residential tower on the west side of Logan south of Gerrard which is taller than this thing - so it isn't unreasonable for the area, though I expect a few floors will be knocked off of it before it gets built.

There are a couple of shorter former industrial buildings on the side streets to the north west of this proposal, including a condo conversion on the east side of Logan - as well as that rogue residential tower on the west side of Logan south of Gerrard which is taller than this thing - so it isn't unreasonable for the area, though I expect a few floors will be knocked off of it before it gets built.

Word on the street is that unfortunately the project got killed by a very negative reaction from the Councillor in the area. But we all prefer strip malls anyway, don't we..........?!

This type of development is excellent news for this area and this intersection specifically. Gerrard and Carlaw is a pretty blightful intersection with the railway track disecting it on two sides. This pretty much blanks-out two of the four corners. leaving only the dog park and this plazza property. Replacing the plazza will go a long way to revitalizing the street.

If this goes forward, it will effectively tie in the development trend south of the tracks along Carlaw to the Gerrard corridor and hopefully spur some other improvements along Gerrard (ideally on the south side between Carlaw and Degrassi).

Apparently they won't allow anything taller than 6 floors here.......

Word on the street is that unfortunately the project got killed by a very negative reaction from the Councillor in the area. But we all prefer strip malls anyway, don't we..........?!

Shades of Leslieville Lofts, perhaps, since the rest of Carlaw, heading north from this site, consists of typical single family houses.

While I don't know about the development of a condo, a new resto has gone into the space where there used to be a dive bar (Gee's, followed by Coolie's (and wasn't that just the worst name ever for a bar on the fringes of east Chinatown??))

Also, the crappy donut shop has been boarded up. Soooo... lots o' action in this strip mall, none of it pointing towards a new condo. If the DRL ever actually happened, this would be a perfect place for the TTC to plant a subway stop...

That stretch of Gerrard is littered with abandoned storefronts, so you would think the Councillor would embrace development. We are not talking a Queen West type scenario where artists and fun stores occupied low rent locations: correct me if I'm wrong, but this area barely has a heartbeat.

That stretch of Gerrard is littered with abandoned storefronts, so you would think the Councillor would embrace development. We are not talking a Queen West type scenario where artists and fun stores occupied low rent locations: correct me if I'm wrong, but this area barely has a heartbeat.

You're wrong -- in fact, that's a really busy corner despite the fact that the strip mall is hideous. We're not talking East Chinatown here, but rather right across Carlaw from No Frills. Gerrard at that point is actually mostly very crappy 2 or 3 story houses, then the firehouse, then a couple more storefronts and The Beer Store. Underneath the tracks on the other side is housing on the south side, and LCBO and some crappy shops, then Gerrard Square. A weird mixture.

If Comrade Paula killed a six-story condo there, it's got to be for either (a) objections from the houses to the north whose backyards would be shadowed or (b) wanting to preserve that corner as commercial (i.e. jobs).

17 December 2011: It was interesting to finally walk by this site after reading this thread. My god the neighbouring homes are rundown shacks that surely one day will be redeveloped? So other than the bland tower that should be rethought, what's the problem here with the height? There's truly nothing around here to throw shadows on other than dumpy rooming houses.

030li.jpg

Mind you, a rather appalling location for a condo--I mean if priced under $150k for a one bedroom, than perhaps it would be tolerable. That NF should go highrise as well.

Convenient with the fire station right next door, and cheap groceries available at No Thrills in Riverdale Plaza, and at Poverty Square, both within spitting distance, though.

Back