News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

800 Bay St. ( partial 8th floor addition)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the 2nd building north of College.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 3A9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 113331 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 4, 2014

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal to construct a partial 8th floor addition to an existing office building.

Umm, the south one is a heritage property. Can't tear down every Dickinson building for more condos.

Indeed. The building is completely vacated and shut down, the main entrance papered-over. I would have thought the ORB would have put it on the market by now.

You're thinking of 880 Bay.

This building, 800 Bay, is still full of tenants and I think just recently finished considerable exterior work.

Give it another decade and there'll be a 70 storey Lanterra condo approved to grow out of that 'podium' being marketed as The Dickensian. Barry Fenton will be at the CofA looking for another 10 storeys. "I want more please, Sir." A sales associate in period costume named Estella will coldly lure potential residents into a commitment before telling them that there is no place here for them. They'll hold a launch event at which they'll give you a shilling to go purchase a prize turkey.

It was the best of sensitive urban infill, it was the worst of insensitive façadomy, it was the age of densification, it was the age of unrelenting windowwall, it was the epoch of revitalization, it was the epoch of construction fatigue, it was the season of Light, it was the season of no net increase in shadow on Queen's Park, it was the spring of Friends and Family sales, it was the winter of first 6 months no maintenance charges, we had construction before us, we had demolition before us, we were all going direct to the penthouse, we were all going direct to the PATH tunnel.

Oh, Dickinson. Sorry.

Ha!

The Dickensian is too clever however and they've done England and Italy. Next up France or Germany. Bringing Paris or Berlin to College and Bay. Just like they've brought Italy to Lawrence and Dufferin lol!

These small midrise office buildings add diversity and strength to the market. Their built form also adds diversity to Bay Street. I rather not see them replaced.

Back