Toronto The Ivy | 110.33m | 34s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

hi guys - i have some intel on this one. the developer will not be touching the masonic hall - it will remain wholly intact and benefit from the restoration of some of the original details (trim, mouldings, etc).

the tower will be tucked in behind the masonic hall (where the mix of newer additions are currently located) which means it will be set back from yonge by a fair bit (unlike the towers proposed at maitland which are only set off 9 metres from yonge).

not sure how tall it will be but i hope less than the 58s and 62s being proposed in the area. i heard maybe the same height as five st. joseph which is 45 but not sure - investigating further.

Hey TJ, good info.....and welcome to the UT forum.:)

There goes the last gay dance club in this city. What's a Gay Village without a real dance club? It's funny how when this city likes to advertise to the gay tourists, it lists Toronto's great gay nightlife as a selling point, yet our nightlife is dying faster than a fruit fly. When I have friends come up from the States, they always complain we have nowhere to dance. (I'm talking gay night clubs here)

From Urbanation's Twitter Feed:

29-storey, 211 unit condominium apartment planned for Gloucester Mews site at 2-8 Gloucester St & 601-613 Yonge St: http://t.co/xz9VE35

wow, that's short compared to other stuff that's been proposed / built around there but reasonable !

211 units in 29s ... that's ~7 units per level.
hopefully that makes for livable units without interior bedrooms

wow, that's short compared to other stuff that's been proposed / built around there but reasonable !

I guess the developer proposing 29 floors dosnt want any controversy with its neighbours regarding this heritage site....considering whats proposed and in the area, this height should have smooth sailing through the city planning dept..

29 storeys is a decent height. Thank goodness they won't be touching Masonic Hall, I nearly had a heart attack when I opened this thread. I wonder if Five St. Joseph had some influence in this proposal?

Don't forget that the laneway may disappear and be replaced by more park as a tradeoff for the height increase at the Charles parking garage.

isn't that laneway public and service other buildings?
if so, i can't see it disappearing.

29 storeys is a decent height. Thank goodness they won't be touching Masonic Hall, I nearly had a heart attack when I opened this thread. I wonder if Five St. Joseph had some influence in this proposal?

let's hope so and this becomes a trend.
iirc the yonge st bia was very supportive of 5 St. Joseph and encouraging other developments to do similar.

There goes the last gay dance club in this city. What's a Gay Village without a real dance club? It's funny how when this city likes to advertise to the gay tourists, it lists Toronto's great gay nightlife as a selling point, yet our nightlife is dying faster than a fruit fly. When I have friends come up from the States, they always complain we have nowhere to dance. (I'm talking gay night clubs here)

I've gotten the sense that in the past several years, more and more gays simply don't feel the need to stay in their neighborhoods and feel comfortable going to clubs with everyone else. One of my friends, openly gay, has a hate on for people that only want to mingle with their own kind. He left the village a long time ago and never looked back.

Last edited:
From Urbanation's Twitter Feed:

29-storey, 211 unit condominium apartment planned for Gloucester Mews site at 2-8 Gloucester St & 601-613 Yonge St: http://t.co/xz9VE35

Perfect! I personally don't care about what the height would be here, I'm just thrilled that the Masonic Hall is safe and that this proposal is tucked away off Yonge Street much like FIVE, Nicholas (75 St. Nicholas Street) and 21 Grenville. THIS is the way to build along Yonge Street (not on Yonge Street like that Bay Street style street-killer between Alexander & Maitland). A good friend of mine loves Olympic Pizza (or whatever it's called), I didn't care for the food there but it's a shame about losing FLY.
I do believe that that we still need a few full-out dance clubs in the Village. It would be great to bring back the space that's now a gym on the 2nd floor of the warehouse on Isabella at Yonge. I forget what it was called in the 80's & 90's but it's very spacious up there and there's no neighbours nearby to complain about noise at night. Was it Komrads?

Fly/Fire on the East side has a contract to 2014 and Olympic Pizza has a contract to 2015. It will be a long time before anything happens for this site.

Back