Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

There is no mention of the families living in the building above the parking lot, this building will turn their homes into alleyway dwellings and will render their balconies useless. The only thought that has been put into this building is maximum profit, it will do nothing for the area.

The tower element respects the 12.5m on-site separation distance prescribed by the Tall Building Guidelines while the area to the west of it is just a 2 storey residential amenity podium. To the east, closer to Church Street, the distance is indeed reduced to 7.4m but the existing building is further south from the future structure to the north so the separation distance is essentially the same.

What's more, why would anyone making a submission have to 'mention the families' living in adjacent structures? That's not really the way things work...

The tower element respects the 12.5m on-site separation distance prescribed by the Tall Building Guidelines while the area to the west of it is just a 2 storey residential amenity podium. To the east, closer to Church Street, the distance is indeed reduced to 7.4m but the existing building is further south from the future structure to the north so the separation distance is essentially the same.

What's more, why would anyone making a submission have to 'mention the families' living in adjacent structures? That's not really the way things work...

There are 8 floors of housing above the carpark to the South. In relation to the Novotel, at the back of the hotel, the rooming portion of the hotel is further away from the building than the rest of it, with the Lobby/function room portion extending upwards only to the upper level of the parking lot and not going any higher.

Their balconies will be useless because they will be sitting in an alley behind this new building, no view, no light.

I didn't mean that there was no mention of the families in the submission, I meant there was no mention of them here. Their homes are going to be darker, and when they look out their windows they will be looking into the condo-dwellers' units directly across the way.

Have a look at the drawings. While the tower element does come closer than the Novotel, it maintains 12.5m spacing from the existing building. The rest, fronting The Esplanade, essentially follows the build line of Novotel. Behind that is a 2-storey amenity podium, nothing more.

Have a look at the drawings. While the tower element does come closer than the Novotel, it maintains 12.5m spacing from the existing building. The rest, fronting The Esplanade, essentially follows the build line of Novotel. Behind that is a 2-storey amenity podium, nothing more.

I will have another look, thanks.

No worries. Check out the roof plan below:

Esplanade.JPG

Attachments

• Esplanade.JPG
    Esplanade.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,628
Does anyone happen to have the floorplans for this? The link above to app.toronto.ca doesn't seem to contain docs.

By 'floorplans' do you mean suite layouts or the typical tower plans? The former won't be made available until the tower goes into sales, the latter are available at the above link.

In a perfect world, and if one was looking at correcting the urban design mistakes of the past, the parking garage and apartment building above it would be demolished and rebuilt further west to open up the visual connection of Church Street with the waterfront (notwithstanding the train corridor and the Gardiner). Rebuilding of social housing was done at Regent's Park; why not here? (I already know the answer; just dreaming...)

1913:

Today:

I don't really think a lake view down one street is worth knocking a building down. There are plenty of other streets with great views down to the lake, Roncesvalles is a good example.

Back