Toronto Fleur Condos | 85.34m | 29s | Menkes | a—A

I really don't think this area needs to be short. With this site's proximity to Yonge street, Queen Station and Ryerson University, i feel 40 stories is acceptable for this site. It's a bit higher than what exists now, but I don't think it's too much. This isn't the St. Lawrence Market.

Seriously? There's so little appreciation for height among those that follow the "more is better" mantra. Is it laziness to open a book and explore the subject or does it pertain to Toronto's non binding, interpretive zoning that allows a 40 storey tower to be built in an area zoned for 6.

Any building that extends high into the air and/or is considerably denser than the norm makes an impact on its surroundings. The higher the difference, the greater the impact on the community.

If this was a community with a strong legacy network of Victorian homes and lovely gardens, I'd agree that height and shadowing would be a significant issue. However, this area is dominated by parking lots and a gritty mishmash of commercial and residential buildings: even with the Cathedrals on the West side of Church, height and shadowing concerns are almost irrelevant. You can backlight stained glass with lights (many churches do). I'd say that an influx of many new residents will only add vitality.

Application files are up on the city's website, with drawings, renderings, stats, etc.

Last edited:
Complete redesign. Shortened to comply with the helicopter flight path from St. Michael's Hospital.

Looks much better:
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    351 KB · Views: 1,746
Where can I check all the city applications? The city s site requires the application number. I would love to be able to see all the applications in a specific area. Anyone knows how to do that?

The City's site doesn't only require a number. You can also search by street, by ward, etc. Just enter something in one of the other fields, leave the application number blank, and hit search. Sadly, it has never allowed me to search just by district - too many results. But a ward search should allow you to look at an entire area.

We have a front page story up here which goes into more details of the redesign, while a new dataBase file linked at the top of this page has colour renderings of the proposal.

What about the parking lot on the south west side of Church and Shuter...Anything planned there?

Not a fan to see the proposed retention of the NOW facade go. Shuter's historical buildings (or this one just off Shuter) are dropping like flies these days.

Attachments

• IMG_8641.jpg
    IMG_8641.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_8643.jpg
    IMG_8643.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 592

Back