Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at Thursday Sep 10, 2015 2.51.16 PM.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 3,152
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at Thursday Sep 10, 2015 2.51.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at Thursday Sep 10, 2015 2.51.28 PM.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,982
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at Thursday Sep 10, 2015 2.51.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at Thursday Sep 10, 2015 2.51.40 PM.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 2,672
From the renderings,... looking southeast along Sheppard Ave West,... with ghost images of Nestle building and EmeraldPark Towers in background,...
IMG_7354[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7354[1].JPG
    IMG_7354[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,424
According to the staff report, it looks like it's a mixed use building with ground floor commercial and residential above. I like how they designed the town homes to face the side Street instead of Sheppard.

I read in the Mirror or something similar (Post) that this development was rejected by the city yesterday.

Can someone please confirm if this is correct. I am assuming this will go to the OMB to be appealed. Discuss.

I read in the Mirror or something similar (Post) that this development was rejected by the city yesterday.

Can someone please confirm if this is correct. I am assuming this will go to the OMB to be appealed. Discuss.

Confirmed. Except it wasn't yesterday,... the "North York Community Council" meeting was on January 19th.

Interestingly, developer/owner realize how outrageous the original proposal was and chopped it themselves! Realizing they still didn't have a snowball in hell,... the developer/owner OMB it before the North York Community Council meeting,.... weird strategies.

Anyways,... the developer/owner basically got a good-old-fashion-back-of-the-barn ass-whipping from city planning for proposing this high-density mid-rise development OUTSIDE of the North York Secondary Plan.

So they went OMB first and then the city? So this proposal is off the books permanently?

Confirmed. Except it wasn't yesterday,... the "North York Community Council" meeting was on January 19th.

Interestingly, developer/owner realize how outrageous the original proposal was and chopped it themselves! Realizing they still didn't have a snowball in hell,... the developer/owner OMB it before the North York Community Council meeting,.... weird strategies.

Anyways,... the developer/owner basically got a good-old-fashion-back-of-the-barn ass-whipping from city planning for proposing this high-density mid-rise development OUTSIDE of the North York Secondary Plan.
Toronto City Council adopted the report from North York Community Council today, so yes, the City will be sending its lawyer to the OMB to oppose the application.

I don't see reference to a reduction in the size of the application though - they're still referencing 14 and 4 storeys.

So they went OMB first and then the city? So this proposal is off the books permanently?
The appeal is based on the City's failure to make a decision within the allotted 120 day time frame. That doesn't mean that the City and developer wouldn't try to negotiate something before the hearing.

Proposal is still on the books,..... just that developer/owner went to OMB BEFORE North York Community Council could decide. Developer/owner went to apply for OMB appeal in early December to complain city taking too long making decision on this application and to complain about the land zoning for this site,..... mainly that it should be part of North York Secondary Plan when it's not within the borders of North York Secondary Plan! Very odd strategies,.... OMB appeal date likely in 6-9 months,....

BTW, Interchange42,.... you should know by now that if I say something,... I can always back it up! So trust me when I say the developer chopped it themselves.

Proposal is still on the books,..... just that developer/owner went to OMB BEFORE North York Community Council could decide. Developer/owner went to apply for OMB appeal in early December to complain city taking too long making decision on this application and to complain about the land zoning for this site,..... mainly that it should be part of North York Secondary Plan when it's not within the borders of North York Secondary Plan! Very odd strategies,.... OMB appeal date likely in 6-9 months,....

BTW, Interchange42,.... you should know by now that if I say something,... I can always back it up! So trust me when I say the developer chopped it themselves.
Community Council doesn't decide the fate of applications. Community Council recommends to City Council whether or not to approve, and then City Council decides at the following meeting.

Instead of blustering "you should know by now", why not be helpful and actually explain what you mean? Your tone is not appreciated.

Community Council doesn't decide the fate of applications. Community Council recommends to City Council whether or not to approve, and then City Council decides at the following meeting.

Instead of blustering "you should know by now", why not be helpful and actually explain what you mean? Your tone is not appreciated.

Like I said,.... the developer/owner already chopped their original proposal by themselves. Formal revision from developer/owner will be sent to City Planning.

They were originally proposing 14 storeys on land that's part of Sheppard West Secondary Plan which allows for at most about 4-5 storeys. Their OMB appeal is to try to alter the Sheppard West Secondary Plan so that an Avenue Study plan would apply or even expand the North York Secondary Plan westward,..... Here the North York Secondary Plan isn't along Beecroft Rd as most would assume,... but along the former Frizzel Road that used to connect Poyntz to Sheppard West (one of my previous posts on EmeraldPark thread documents this),... which is now the western edge of Albert Standing Park,..... and this site is directly west of that!

There's a number of interesting strategies being played here,.... at the community meeting for this development I commented that this area has one of the lowest park space per capita in the city (that's a metric city uses based on area of park divided by number of residents within 1km radius of park),... it determines an individuals piece of the park pie..... and since there's so many high density development along Yonge Corridor,.... the park space per capita is extremely low due to the high density near Albert Standing Park. Anyways, for section 37 community benefits, city planning is now demanding on-site donation of land along the eastern part of this lot to be used for expansion of Albert Standing Park. That's a good strategy by the city, because that would leave the developer/owner with less land and in effect further chop this development again,... in addition to what the developer/owner already chopped.

The expansion of Albert Standing Park is important because Lansing United Church Community Centre which is at the southern end of this park is under construction now (as part of Section 37 community benefits from EmeraldPark development) should open in about a year. This new community centre is a joint city-church community centre with large day-care facilities for the little ones,.... thus, a larger park would be beneficial.

Last edited:

Back