Toronto 500 Wellington West | ?m | 10s | Freed | Core Architects

20110130190.jpg

I would love to have more streets lined with buildings of this scale and design. Very handsome. And cudos to the developer for taking the neighbourhood context into account when designing this thing. This is how old meets new should be done.

Unfortunately the developer has not proposed the same scale for other parts of this neighbourhood. The Thompson Residences was the subject of a recent OMB hearing, and the Bathurst and Front project for which he is a co-developer was roundly criticized for its excessive size and height.

Doesnt look like it will impact those other freed buyers at 75 portland who are in that courtyard. good thing, cause the light in that courtyard is already minimal.

No, it doesn't cross the courtyard of 75 Portland. However, there was a proposal a while back for a building right next to 500 Wellington. So far nothing has come of that.

Spending 1.5 million for an apartment whose building uses the same cheap gray exterior bricks as the Victory Condos at King/Spadina, and the Thompson Hotel down the road (copycat design?).?

For 1.5 mill I'd expect a stellar custom design, not a re-hashed facade. In a few years these gray bricks will be a trendy as those white bricks used in the 60s and 70s...on those low rise strip malls you see in the burbs.

And wait, it backs onto a strip club, a utilitarian alleyway, and another condo. And soon to be beside yet another condo (this is downtown). Madness.

Congrats on your first two posts Strartford - this one and the Riverside Towns one - it's rare that someone new here establishes themselves as a potential nutbar so quickly.

Say something reasonable and prove me wrong!

I'll say something.

Stratford 1 has his opinion, you have yours. That doesn't make him a nutbar. The exteriors mentioned, though not the same, are similar.

I think the building may turn out great if the attention to detail and quality finishes are put to the interiors in a serious way. That will be the real test.

I think the building may turn out great if the attention to detail and quality finishes are put to the interiors in a serious way. That will be the real test.

LOL! This is Freed here. Have you been privy to the goings on inside 55 Stewart/Thompson 550 Wellington condos a block awaw? It's an utter nightmare of infrastruture issues, common areas not completed or not as promised, and interior defects and just plain bad workmanship, they are alleging. The owners are up in arms. And condo fees jumped 30% in the first year. I cannot say more, allegations unproven. :rolleyes:
no I do not own a unit myself.

LOL! This is Freed here. Have you been privy to the goings on inside 55 Stewart/Thompson 550 Wellington condos a block awaw? It's an utter nightmare of infrastruture issues, common areas not completed or not as promised, and interior defects and just plain bad workmanship, they are alleging. The owners are up in arms. And condo fees jumped 30% in the first year. I cannot say more, allegations unproven. :rolleyes:
no I do not own a unit myself.

Yea. It's a mess there. That building has a lot of problems. Funny enough, I have a buddy that lives there that loves it.

I like this project though. I'm sure Freed will step it up here. Last thing you want to do is piss off a bunch of millionaires.

Back