Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
50 Bloor Street West 
50 Bloor Street West, Toronto
Developer: Morguard Corporation

50 Bloor St. W (Morguard, 70s, Pellow + Associates)

Discussion in 'Projects & Construction (high and mid-rise)' started by Automation Gallery, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Senior Member

Wow, i dont get it.. no one wants to be the first to start a new thread on Torontos first potential supertall...
    .Hey, i been all along criticized to be a tall tower fantasiser
    so here goes....It gives me great pleasure to post this.....[​IMG] Cheers

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

2. toto

toto Active Member

Wow! 83s on top of 8s? or 83s in total? 83 +8, might give us our first supertall.

3. Tony

Tony New Member

Wow, that is big. Here's to hoping it's absolutely spectacular and not just sort of nice. Thanks for the info, and congratulations on being the first to officially proclaim this one!

Haha, just noticed that (very appropriately) the first three posts all began with 'wow'.

4. Mongo

Mongo Senior Member

As I posted on the Supertall and Near-Supertall Speculation thread before this thread was created, 83s (75s residential + 8s commercial) puts this building at right around the height of FCP (298m). 64cup pointed out that it makes sense that this project would be just a bit taller than FCP for marketing purposes, so we very likely are looking at Toronto's first official Supertall.

5. Solaris

Solaris Senior Member

sure sounds interesting ... I'm excited to see some proposed elevations & plans ... anyone know who the builder is?

6. Mongo

Mongo Senior Member

Oxford. They are also doing the nearby Cumberland Terrace project, which also looks to have been supersized from what I hear (two tallish towers -- 45s and 36s -- have been redesigned into a single tower).

7. 67Cup

67Cup Active Member

I remember the 64Cup too, but, in fact, my handle is 67Cup. (For any despairing Leaf fans - and are there any non-despairing Leaf fans right now - that 64 team lost a whack of games in a row too but did recover in time to win the cup. Not that this is even possible anymore for this year but a losing streak is not necessarily the end of all hope.)

I do think that it is psychologically very unlikely that a developer would build a structure that size to match or just fall short of the tallest building in Canada. The marketing possibilities of just exceeding FCP are too juicy to miss out on.

8. supercilious

supercilious New Member

I'm confused regarding the "83 stories rising out of an 8 story podium"

My interpretation of that would be a total of 91 stories. However the last line states that there are 83 proposed stories.

Previous applications include podium stories as part of the total story count, correct?

Wish that could be clarified because 91 stories is significantly taller, especially considering the 8 stories on the podium would generally have much higher ceilings

9. bmiller

bmiller Active Member

We all knew this was coming, but wow, it's still good to hear someone stepping up. Hopefully this will be an architectural masterpiece that will
    set the tone for other large projects to come. When is it going to end. It seems like every week there is something bigger and better.

10. kris

kris Active Member

i jizzed in my pants

11. Ramako

Ramako Moderator

If Oxford is indeed the developer here, then I think I know who the architect might be. I had previously suspected that Cumberland Terrace was the site to which my info related, but now I'm thinking that it's the Holt's site, especially given the size of the proposal. If my suspicions are right, UT is going to lose its shit.

12. CanadianNational

CanadianNational Senior Member

Exciting news. Thanks for posting, AG.

13. Mongo

Mongo Senior Member

Would that be Will Alsop? Or is he working on Cumberland Terrace?

14. bmiller

bmiller Active Member

If it's Will Alsop, hold on to your shorts.

15. JoeJohn

JoeJohn New Member

Exciting indeed. Thanks AG.