Toronto 4804-4812 Yonge Street | ?m | 1s | Dov Capital

Damn. I'm out of the country in July. 7-Eleven isn't big in Toronto. I guess they are trying to make a statement with this shop. This location must be $$$$. But I don't see myself shopping there very much. There is already a convenience store and a dollar store in Sheppard Centre. And the convenience store had been going downhill ever since the dollar store open.

Regardless, the 7-Elevent deepens the mystery for the 2nd floor usage...

.....Regardless, the 7-Elevent deepens the mystery for the 2nd floor usage...

I still say that McDonald locations often have two floors with extra seating on the second floor.

This floor could connect to the McDonalds that Sunnyray pointed out above is on the Yonge Street side of the building.

The M sign is there; looks like they will open shortly:

img0784is.jpg

2012-Jan-03:
I was talking to the manager at the McDonalds in the small building immediately north of there, and he said they are scheduled to move into this new building in March.

2012-Apr-15:
Looks like it'll be mid-June

McDonald's McCafe Grand Opening on June 14th at 7AM,.... in the morning! Man, there better be free food!

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpg
    IMG_4138.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 384
OMG. I just walked by and saw the permit behind the glass of the centre section. You wouldn't believe this. It's a 7-Eleven!?

Man,... I walk by there so many times,... I've noticed those building permits and papers posted but never bother to read them,....

I think the 7-11 will be open by July 11th for Slurpee Day,.... maybe even by end of June. While they're not nearly as close to opening like McDonald's or FedEx, the shell is there, they just need flooring, shelves and stock. The wall units of glass freezers/refrigerators are already in place along the west side.

Way too many convenience stores in the area,... there's a the few mom & pop convenience stores that are hardly surviving,.... they're being killed off since each of the 3 gas stations to the south have renovated and opened their own convenience stores,... dollarama in SheppardCentre along with the ShoppersDrugMart,...

Sucks that it won't be a food court with 9 restaurants as originally envisioned but there's already a food court in SheppardCentre,... not sure if there will be a food court in Tridel-Hullmark Centre but there'll be WholeFoods with their own little food court area (should open Fall 2013). EmeraldPark will have T&T (if they ever finish!) for dim sum and bubble tea,... plus EmeraldPark will have a mostly Asian food court at western part of first floor. Food courts are generally hit and miss, usually they hide food court in the lower concourse floor in the back as was done at SheppardCentre and NorthYorkCityCentre,.... Yes, NYCC did have a food court, but it was way in the back on the bottom floor and off to the side below their ParkHomes and Beecroft entrance. The NYCC food court was generally deserted and a failure,... now they're relocating their food court to the main level closer to YongeStreet (mainly because their retail never really did well with EmpressWalk right across the street).

Attachments

• IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
I'm curious what they will do with the building just North of it, where McD currently resides. Since the new South building is only meant to exist for 15 years, then it only makes sense that whatever replacing the North building will expire in the same time period. This is so that whatever new project can take up the entire block.

Any ideas as to what the second floor will be used for? It's to short for anything more than a dining area or storage. Perhaps it will be covered up and used for signage / advertising?

As for 7-11, it's not my first pick for a retailer but it's alright. It could've been much worse. Kinkos was honestly frightening as an early indicator.

Hopefully the new McDonalds will be open 24 hours just like the old one. A 24 hours McDonalds paired with a 24 hour 7-11 would be interesting. Again, Kinkos doesn't quite fit here.

The old McDonalds just north of the new location is already closed as part of the move.

I managed to get a pic today with some employees spilling out of the new McDonalds.

20120611mcd1.jpg

20120611mcd2.jpg

As I said above, second floor seating for McD's is a good bet.

But, who knows for sure until we see it.

As per Pipolchap's post #25 from Aug 29, 2011 when we thought this development would be a food court with 9 restaurants,..... there was the option to add an outdoor patio to the north, but seeing the pavement layout today, it doesn't seem likely it'll be a big patio, maybe the odd sitting area.
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl070214_#1979.pdf
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-Street-Sheppard-NW-Intersection-(NYCC)/page2

I think the old McDonald's/Hakim building will probably be demolished (with taxes and liabilities its better to demolish an old unused building like that). Asside from McDonald's its basically been unoccupied for years. Does the TTC (City of Toronto) owns that property too? It took 5 years of planning and construction to build this McDonalds-FexEx-7Eleven,.... so if it takes another 5 year for the old McDonald's-Hakim site, then the new tenants will only have 10 years lease,... probably not enough time.

Hopefully once they demolish it, they'll make it into a temporary parkette for 15 years until the land is ready for office development,.... but a parkette might be tricky as per GibsonSquare,.... north-west corner of Yonge & ParkHomes was supposed to be PetroCanada head office way back when Mel Lastman ruled North York City,... but PetroCanada backed out and picked Calgary, so the site was was converted to a parkette until new development (GibsonSquare) came along,... but of course once they started building GibsonSquare everyone was crying bloody murder for converting a lovely "parkette" (even though it was a "private property" parkette) to condo development.

Looking into the new McDonald's, I don't see any obvious stairways to get to that weird second floor. Anyone notice that second floor has odd exposed verticle & horizontal support beams that would make it a less than idea dining area,... I'm still hoping for JumboTron TV,.. or maybe suspended cages for 1960's style go-go dancers!

BTW,.... FedEx-Kinko will be openning Wednesday June 13th,... one day ahead of McDonalds June 14 @ 7am. The new McDonald's McCafe will be 24 hour along with 7-Eleven. There's probably not a market to have this FedEx-Kinko operate 24 hours,... the FedEx-Kinko at UofT is 24 hours along with the one at Yonge&Eglinton. Below photo taken from old FedEx-Kinko store window at Yonge north of SheppardCentre.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
I don't think they'd have much trouble leasing the old McDonald location to another restaurant if the land lord spent some money on the building.

I'd love for another office project in NYCC but I doubt we'll see one for years and years and years to come ...

Wow, we've been severely lacking a 7-Eleven in the area. ;)

At least there's a convenient location to get SpeakOut products.

Looking into the new McDonald's, I don't see any obvious stairways to get to that weird second floor. Anyone notice that second floor has odd exposed verticle & horizontal support beams that would make it a less than idea dining area,... I'm still hoping for JumboTron TV,.. or maybe suspended cages for 1960's style go-go dancers!

Yes I noticed that too when I was checking out the layout a few days ago. I only see one doorway near the south end of the McDonalds, and that likely leads to the washrooms. It doesnt look like there is access to the second floor from the McDonalds.

As per Pipolchap's post #25 from Aug 29, 2011 when we thought this development would be a food court with 9 restaurants,..... there was the option to add an outdoor patio to the north, but seeing the pavement layout today, it doesn't seem likely it'll be a big patio, maybe the odd sitting area.
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl070214_#1979.pdf
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/8918-4804-–-4812-Yonge-Street-Sheppard-NW-Intersection-(NYCC)/page2

I think the old McDonald's/Hakim building will probably be demolished (with taxes and liabilities its better to demolish an old unused building like that). Asside from McDonald's its basically been unoccupied for years. Does the TTC (City of Toronto) owns that property too? It took 5 years of planning and construction to build this McDonalds-FexEx-7Eleven,.... so if it takes another 5 year for the old McDonald's-Hakim site, then the new tenants will only have 10 years lease,... probably not enough time.

Hopefully once they demolish it, they'll make it into a temporary parkette for 15 years until the land is ready for office development,.... but a parkette might be tricky as per GibsonSquare,.... north-west corner of Yonge & ParkHomes was supposed to be PetroCanada head office way back when Mel Lastman ruled North York City,... but PetroCanada backed out and picked Calgary, so the site was was converted to a parkette until new development (GibsonSquare) came along,... but of course once they started building GibsonSquare everyone was crying bloody murder for converting a lovely "parkette" (even though it was a "private property" parkette) to condo development.

BTW,.... FedEx-Kinko will be openning Wednesday June 13th,... one day ahead of McDonalds June 14 @ 7am. The new McDonald's McCafe will be 24 hour along with 7-Eleven. There's probably not a market to have this FedEx-Kinko operate 24 hours,... the FedEx-Kinko at UofT is 24 hours along with the one at Yonge&Eglinton. Below photo taken from old FedEx-Kinko store window at Yonge north of SheppardCentre.

TTC own the land and they are prepare to sit on this land for an office building, even thought it maybe 25+ years down the road, since they will get a better return on it than condos.

Way things are going, you don't know what will happen 10-25 years from now for that land.

Who every decide to build there, that bus terminal will have to go underground as part of the deal.

They started working on the mysterious 2nd floor today. I saw some workers putting up flourescent lightings..... -- not very McD'ish, IMO.

Back