News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 600     0 

441 Clark Ave W Thornhill | ?m | 18s | Riocan | Kirkor

jaycola

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed for the corner of Clark and Hilda where the existing Sobey's Plaza is located. Not a lot of info available online but a public meeting was held last night to present the project. The majority of attendees apparently against the project. My understanding is that the western portion of the existing strip mall will be preserved, the eastern section will be replaced with an 18 Story tower, town homes, ground floor retail and public underground parking.

www.yorkregion.com

Last edited:
I always though that Thornhill should have been its own town, made up of Markham west of the 404, and Vaughan basically south of the Parkway Belt and east of Keele. The area still has a homogeneous feel to it, even though it was bifurcated by a boundary when the Ontario government restructured municipalities in the 1970s to cut down on the number of them. That's all to say that I get why Thornhillians still feel like they are Thonrhillians and not Markhamites or Vaughanerainians (or whatever you call them).

Thornhillians sure love their plazas and suburban life style.

Thorhillians :). Vaughan still has that nth degree 905 identity crisis I see.

From the article posted above: “I don’t know if RioCan understands the centrality of the plaza to our daily life,” Thornhill Councillor Alan Shefman said.

To one on the outside looking in, it's just another plaza among a sea of other plazas a mere 5 minute drive away. However, I grew up in that area, and it's true that the plaza is a central piece of the community up there, and it is wholly different from similarly styled retail on Centre Street, Bathurst or Yonge. The grocery store is highly catered towards the surrounding Jewish community in a way that no other store is, anywhere in the City. I think anyone who lives in the area would agree.

Renderings from Kirkor: http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/projects/spring-farm/
upload_2016-9-27_19-12-3.png

upload_2016-9-27_19-12-38.png

upload_2016-9-27_19-13-56.png

Was the height ever proposed at 20 storeys? Because I find it hard to believe they would increase the height after all the outcry.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-27_19-12-3.png
    upload_2016-9-27_19-12-3.png
    2 MB · Views: 560
  • upload_2016-9-27_19-12-38.png
    upload_2016-9-27_19-12-38.png
    813.9 KB · Views: 563
  • upload_2016-9-27_19-13-56.png
    upload_2016-9-27_19-13-56.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 544
This project is now dead.
Local ratepayer groups and councilors got the developer to voluntarily withdraw the project. They will redevelop the site without any residential component.

Alan Shefman

7 June at 15:37 ·
Good process and good communications work!

I just met with RioCan, the owner of the SpringFarm Marketplace, located at Hilda and Clark in Thornhill. They told me that they are withdrawing their application for a 22 storey residential building on the property and will be expanding the retail aspects of the site with a one storey building on the northeast corner.

Without a doubt this is a victory for the efforts of the SpringFarm Ratepayers Association's respectful, focussed and determined approach to working with RioCan to find the best solution possible for the community. This is a victory for civil and intelligent dialogue.

It has been a pleasure to work with the Ratepayers for our common goal of ensuring that we build the best community possible for everyone.

Too often unpopular development applications have resulted in yelling and name calling - where the positions of the community and the proponent are just a battle with no winners. In this case, through good discussion, good research and well supported positions, we have a great result.

From the article posted above: “I don’t know if RioCan understands the centrality of the plaza to our daily life,” Thornhill Councillor Alan Shefman said.

To one on the outside looking in, it's just another plaza among a sea of other plazas a mere 5 minute drive away. However, I grew up in that area, and it's true that the plaza is a central piece of the community up there, and it is wholly different from similarly styled retail on Centre Street, Bathurst or Yonge. The grocery store is highly catered towards the surrounding Jewish community in a way that no other store is, anywhere in the City. I think anyone who lives in the area would agree.
Why would this project have ruined the plaza? It could easily be designed to enhance it. This just smacks of suburban anti-density sentiment.

I think you read my post out of context - I was responding to blanket statements by two people who appear not to understand the area, and paint all 905ers with an anti-density brush. Just like downtown is home to diverse neighbourhoods, unique sites and community assets that should not necessarily be subject to the a uniform level of density, so too the suburbs have varying character. Demolishing retail storefronts on Queen West would hurt the community, and so would this project if not designed and executed sensitively.

You are right - it could be designed to enhance the retail. Furthermore, this area of Thornhill has a severe lack of affordable housing options, with few rentals and townhomes. I think this plaza will see density soon enough - if RioCan is shelving the res component I doubt it is due to pressure from an RA, and we are sure to see a different proposal in the coming years.

(Also, with all the development to come around Promenade Mall and the opening of the BRT on Centre, this whole area will see a lot of activity)

Back