Toronto e2 at ePlace | 156.56m | 46s | Capital Developments | TACT Architecture

A few notes...the 27-unit condo building at 39 Roehampton has been sold, by a vote of over 80% of owners, as required by law -- apparently the first time in Ontario history this has happened. The deal closes Jan 31, and it is anticipated the building will be demolished shortly afterwards. The "office" next to it is a special needs school that has been given a year to find a new home.

Residents likely didn't like e-condo blocking their view,.... What kind of premium over market price did they get? It's interesting and troubling that any condo owner who voted against the sale is now forced to sell,... it's basically like an expropriation for them, but instead of the City conducting the expropriation,... it's the over 80% of the other condo-owners who voted in favour of the sale who are effectively conducting the expropriation.

It makes sense to me, it's part of the strata ownership that condos entail. It's not realistic for a single owner to hold up an entire building like it is for a holdout piece of land. When you have a freehold holdout, you can build around.. not so much for a condo.

80% is the minimum threshold too by the sounds of it.. my guess is more than that approved the sale. They would need 22 of the 27 units to approve it, so at most 5 holdouts.

The building I live in considered dissolving for a sale about a decade ago now, and we were told that 80% of the owners would have to vote for it, for it to be unassailable in the courts should an owner on the losing side object. It's not a new figure that's been pulled out of thin air.

The thing about holding out is you could hold out for more money,.... that's your right as a property owner. It's your right as a property owner to sell or not to sell, and when to sell,... or at least it should be.

Regardless of whether it's strata-condo ownership or freehold-land ownership,... it's property rights belonging to private individuals.

If the other owners want to sell, that's fine, that's their right,..... if the new owner of those units (developer) wants to house homeless folks in those units, that's their right as well,..... but some one who owns something shouldn't be forced to sell against their will.

When the City, Province or Country expropriate a property, there's a long process where it's reviewed and expropriation is seen as a last resort when all other negotiation fails,..... and that property is deemed required by the City, Province or Country for public use and the benefit of the majority of the public,.....

Here, this is effectively an expropriation initiated by other condo owners,.... for the benefit of a developer. It would be interesting to see if the condo-owners who basically got expropriated will challenge this rule in court,..... especially since apparently this is the first time this rule has been applied in Ontario.

When individuals purchase a condominium, as opposed to a freehold detached home, one is also accepting and committing to a completely different set of rights and obligations. The basic law defining these rights and obligations is the Condominium Act, and the associated Regulations, by the province, which for condominiums in Toronto, would obviously be the Government of Ontario. Condominium law is an area of Provincial jurisdiction, so the laws would be different in Alberta, BC, etc.

When one buys into a condominium corporation, one has to accept and live with the fact that decisions will be made that are in the overall owners at large, irrespective of one's own personal feelings on a specific issue. To provide protections for owners against being forced to accept decisions which are not widely agreeable, the Act requires certain minimum thresholds, which vary according to the nature of the issue. The highest level of threshold, 80% approval, is reserved for the most serious issues, such as changing the Declaration, or winding up the Condominium corporation. AGM's, or adoption of new or modified Rules for the condominium require a 50% threshold (in person or by proxy).

All prospective condominium buyers should be aware of these issues - if not, or not willing to accept them, buying into a condominium development would probably not be the right choice for that buyer.

48 storeys:
upload_2017-1-13_14-45-15.png

upload_2017-1-13_14-45-35.png

upload_2017-1-13_14-46-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-13_14-45-15.png
    upload_2017-1-13_14-45-15.png
    668.4 KB · Views: 815
  • upload_2017-1-13_14-45-35.png
    upload_2017-1-13_14-45-35.png
    910.3 KB · Views: 818
  • upload_2017-1-13_14-46-12.png
    upload_2017-1-13_14-46-12.png
    911 KB · Views: 849
A few in 39 are suing the Condo Board, feeling they didn't get fair market value for their unit. Market value in 39 was tricky to determine, considering the age of some of the systems which were going to need replacing soon. The building was actually in two parts, so it had two roofs, two HVAC systems, etc. Expensive to maintain.

Lesson to be learned: never ever buy a condo in a low-rise building in Toronto.

Interesting proposal.

The massing is nice (recalls the two aA / Freed projects to the east) but the detailing seems overly busy. Interesting approach from someone (Prish) who said that he wanted to do 'excellent background buildings' until he / they (TACT) had the experience to break out. I wonder if this represents the first project in that new paradigm...

A few notes...the 27-unit condo building at 39 Roehampton has been sold, by a vote of over 80% of owners, as required by law -- apparently the first time in Ontario history this has happened. The deal closes Jan 31, and it is anticipated the building will be demolished shortly afterwards. The "office" next to it is a special needs school that has been given a year to find a new home.

I'm not sure about first time. Gupta's Rosedale on Bloor site included the purchase of a 10 unit condo (MTCC 1373). There was also a 320 unit condo that voted to put their building up for sale at Jane and Edgeley. It just didn't sell so I guess the condo remains. There are a few others as well. I can't think of their information right now.

Last edited:
Interesting that this 48-storey development proposal is coming from Metropia/CapitalDev. Metropia has head office nearby and is a partner in 58 & 38 storey e-condo with Bazis & RioCan; so Metropia is blocking their own customers in e-condo's 38-storey NorthTower.

I wonder if this one will have direct subway connection via a direct connection into e-condo since Metropia is involved in both.

Transition on this one will be interesting since e-condo SouthTower will be 58-storey but e-condo's NorthTower (which is beside this proposal site) is 38-Storey.

looking at the architectural plans, this appears to provide a new entrance to the subway station at the back of the small plaza between this and E condos.
Where exactly? I am having difficulty visualizing this. I am guessing there is an illustration in the development proposal somewhere?

Very interesting development though. The PATH concept being replicated at Eglinton? Given the high (and quickly growing) foot traffic at Yonge&Eglinton, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing different pathways towards the station. I'd treat it as an amenity even for the nearby condos, assuming that this entrance will be open to the public.

Back