Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Would be really cool if they put a "sky pool" similar yo the one in Singapore. But I'm dreaming though..

I really like the "bridge between the towers, in fact I have often wondered why, in an area like Manhattan, they don't connect more buildings this way. It could save lives in the event of hi-rise fires and it could generate new retail avenues in the sky. Itt makes sense and may ultimately become a way to take some of the pedestrian traffic off the streets below.

Totally agree, have thought the same thing years ago. Imagine the appeal of sky high retail, connected to as many towers as possible? I've always wanted to see the views from our talker buildings. Seems only the CN Tower has an observation deck, and for a family, it's a few hundred dollars, now, imagine being able to see similar views, but spending the money on retail goods instead? I'm absolutely certain it would fast become an international success, and I believe a first, out of any city our size, on the planet. Since the reality is, we'll never, ever regain "worlds tallest", we could regain a new title of "world highest mall" and "most sky bridges on earth"! I know, it's nothing but a pipe dream, but with dreams, reality will never happen!

Would require hundreds of elevators/stariwells on top of those servicing the buildings holding up this sky high mall. The tower of FCP has 30 elevators for about 10000 people . 15 million visitor per year is about 40,000 a day. Eaton Centre has an estimated 50 million visitors a year. Would be cool though.

There are so many logistical issues with retail in skywalks that high in the sky that I can't begin to contemplate them all. For one, servicing retail requires a lot of back-of-house space, service corridors, and loading/shipment/garbage facilities.

There is a very good reason we don't do such things. A PATH system or +15 system is as close to that as you are going to get.

Very good points all, and you're absolutely right, it probably would be a logistical nightmare, as always, my foot in mouth disease is getting worse. If only there was a way to make it happen, perhaps not every tower, but a few would be nice. Since it's obvious it will probably never happen, and the PATH, as nice as it is, makes me feels like a mole, perhaps some building could open observation decks? I believe a few towers in the business district had observation decks/restaurants, but we're closed long ago, wonder just how difficult it would be for the owners of our tallest towers to create observation decks? I know most think the CN Tower is the end all and be all of observation decks, but wouldn't it me nice to see different angles of the core from say, FCP, the Scotia Plaza, any of the TD, CIBC, or Private condos like Aura? Guess it's all just an unrealistic thought, but if this project is built to specs, it will be the second project with a sky bridge, too bad it's only for the tenants, I'd pay money to see the views from different towers. I know I said not to compare us to other cities (not comparing, merely pointing out that other cities already do have office towers with observation decks), BUT, if cities like Chicago can have observation decks in more then one office tower (both the John Handcock and the Willis tower have them), why not here? It's a great tourist attraction, and I'd assume a big income earner. Besides, the CN Tower is such a rip off, it would be nice to have a few other options so we don't have to pay a small fortune for a nice view (a few years back, I took my nephews there, to take them to the main pod, and then to the sky pod, plus food, ended up costing me over $200. For many, myself included, that's a lot of money to spend for an hour or two, would be so nice to have another option that doesn't cost as much.

Not sure if this image has been posted... Looks new to me (from the Quadrangle website).

process-YongeGerrard_8a.jpg

Wow! That's an amazing project! If materials are OK this is gonna be huge for TO.

Looks great. Love the retention of the historic buildings, and the sky-bridge looks a bit more elaborate than a simple rectangle. Not sure if the way the south tower suddenly becomes rounded above the bridge actually works, but it's interesting.

If there were an underground link from here to Aura, and another south to the Ryserson SLC (unlikely, as there's a few properties in the way), one could walk indoors from College all the way to the lake.

The dataBase file for 385 Yonge has been updated with hi-res versions of the new renderings. You'll find it linked at the top of the page.

Nice to see something striking, slender and soaring going up on that corner but I'm not sure about how the skybridge works with the towers. It looks awkward and unresolved to me. Maybe it's the transition above it for a more curvacious handling on the corners of the shorter tower... but I think it's more the massing of the bridge itself. It seems the one inelegant part of the whole.

The texture and materials look promising.

Back