Toronto ANX | 48.07m | 13s | Freed | Teeple Architects

Although Wynn's reputation has improved somewhat of late, they still are the biggest slumlords at heart. Somehow I see three bedrooms for families quickly becoming a student ghetto with overpriced 3 bedrooms accomodations.

Last edited:
Yeah, and abandoned grocery carts lining the ditch.

This blatant disregard for the official plan is hilarious. What were they thinking?

Edit:
I think the map is correct.
I just realized that the Wynn Group probably would be demolishing the 2 low rise buildings already there.

Based on the data shown on Geowarehouse, the property includes the building in the centre of the picture, which faces directly on Dupont, and the building toward the left of the picture, located behind the six semi-detached houses. It also continues behind six more semi-detached houses to the west (partially out of the picture). The property includes a driveway out to Dupont from the westerly building, which can be seen in the picture, to the west of the first six semi-detached houses. The property does not include any of the houses which face Dupont.

I'll certainly agree with maestro regarding Wynn's reputation, which as far as I know has not improved significantly in 20 years.

Well lookey here...

330_374_dupont_1.jpg

330_374_dupont_2.jpg

330_374_dupont_3.jpg

330_374_dupont_4.jpg

nice design, but isn't this project essentially dead because of the proximity to the CNR lines ???

While it's a little difficult to count floors on those renders, it looks like they have shifted heights on the proposed towers somewhat, to approximately four floors short off the tall one and four more floors on the short one, or 26 and 32 floors now.

If they were to move the point towers' height into long, low slabs it would work much better: I think it's inappropriate to fill the sky close to Casa Loma with any competition for its towers. Casa Loma should continue to dominate this area.

And never mind the height, does the builder have zoning permission for this kind of density here? (I know it's practically beside a subway station.)

nice design, but isn't this project essentially dead because of the proximity to the CNR lines ???

Why would that kill the project? Options for Homes are building towers beside the rail lines on Keele north of Dundas right now.

Meanwhile, the 6 storey ribbon building does seem to take the rail lines into account with what is hinted at being a blank wall facing the tracks.

I doubt that being near the tracks will kill the proposal. It's not hard to find newer high-rise projects near tracks, in several locations around Toronto. Current building technology can pretty much mitigate the noise.

More of a concern would be that it's just generally out of character for this low-rise neighbourhood. The powerful Annex residents' group may decide to mobilize against it, and if so, it will be tough sledding at City Hall.

I find it weird how those six houses would be completely surrounded by the development. I would find it more palatable if they didn't exist and the low rise portion were brought forward to the edge of Dupont. But yes, a strange and unlikely proposal, to be certain.

interchange42 said:
Why would that kill the project? Options for Homes are building towers beside the rail lines on Keele north of Dundas right now.

as posted earlier from Mike in TO:
Preliminary discussion between ratepayers and a Wynn property at Dupont and Kendal abutting the train tracks have commenced. The applicant is interested in a 20-22 floor condo proposal. Land is currently zoned as employment uses and the set-backs (30m) from the railway could prove to be problematic for conversion to residential uses

and from Adam Vaughn:

Although the developers have not yet submitted an application to City Planning, Planning staff told those at the meeting that they will not support the proposal in its current form. The land this development is proposed for is zoned Industrial-Commercial, and although a number of commercial uses were presented as part of the plans, City Planning will not support residential intensification on this site. In addition, the developers’ proposal to build live-work studios next to the CP rail corridor triggered safety concerns as the required setbacks from the rail line were not met.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the MOCCA SHOP signage and renders of people looking at art.

At the community meeting a while back for this development they included something like 40 live/work loft spaces for artists inbetween the two towers to be sold for the cost of construction.

I really like that lower portion. That's pretty sweet looking. The towers look typical, and fairly boring, however.

Back