Toronto 241 Redpath | 133.05m | 38s | MOD Developments | a—A

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
241 REDPATH AVE
Ward 15 - North York District

Development Applications

Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit a new 35 storey building, with 387 residential units, including 46 rental units. The proposed residential gross floor area is 24,400 square metres

This site currently hosts a 12-storey apartment building and a small surface parking lot.

1591250154156.png

Last edited:
The hyper-intensification of that north-east quadrant of Yonge & Eg continues. There is some space beside and behind the existing 241 Redpath building, but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a full scale redevelopment just like at the NE corner of Redpath & Broadway by Reserve Properties.

Last edited:
This is the kind of perverse outcomes that our planning framework produces, where perfectly fine apartment towers are redeveloped (or receive Frankenstein additions) instead of the single-detached housing nearby on Keewatin Avenue.
You can only redevelop sites you own. I don't see the argument here.

I'd imagine @WislaHD is calling to open up the Yellowbelt. The embodied energy in a single family house pales in comparison to a large, concrete apartment building so why are we focusing on the latter?

Clearly the owner of the apartment building has something to gain from redeveloping it, otherwise it wouldn't be happening. I'm not sure how a revised Yellowbelt policy would change that, even if it's something that I agree should be pursued anyway.

I'd imagine @WislaHD is calling to open up the Yellowbelt. The embodied energy in a single family house pales in comparison to a large, concrete apartment building so why are we focusing on the latter?

Agreed 100%. It's time to let development move sensibly to the Neighbourhood OP zone, but with consideration, meaning they shouldn't be able to build a 50 storey building in the middle of it. It could taper down and transition towards the res areas, from mixed use or RA or whatever. Even to start, I would love to see more midrises along Yonge in this area north of say Roselawn. All mixed use areas for sure, but without much depth on those lots, so really you would need some NBHD OP allowances I think.

As ProjectEnd said, I am calling for the opening up of the Yellowbelt.

Sure, the owners of the apartment building may have a desire to redevelop their property if there is a profit to be made regardless, and it is something that you see every now and then in downtown where land supply is more limited. But demolishing/working with an existing 12-storey structure is not exactly the easiest development approach, and the property owner may be foregoing interim rent revenue. It's more so the approach you take when land supply is limited.

If the surrounding land in the Yellowbelt was opened up to intensification, the property owner might have rather take their capital and develop a new tower on a nearby street, rather than redevelop an existing tower that is still not towards the end of it's building life-cycle, and displacing rent-paying residents.

I just don't agree that a pair of single-detached house has more value to the city than an existing 12-storey apartment building, but these are the outcomes that our present planning framework delivers. Maybe this is the wrong thread to stand on the proverbial pedestal and voice my discontent, but this development project already seems like an egregious instance of our wacky priorities as a city, and we haven't even seen the docs yet.

This will cast net new shadow on Redpath Park. That is why they settled on 20 something storeys for the north tower on the Untitled property. Big test of the validity of MIdtown in Focus if this gets through at this height.

Updated project description:

Zoning By-law Amendment which proposes the demolition of the existing 12-storey, 46 unit apartment building and redevelopment of a new 35-storey residential tower with a 7-storey base building facing Redpath Avenue and 11-storey base building facing the rear on the site. The new building will contain approximately 387 new dwelling units, including 46 rental replacement units, a residential gross floor area of 24,400 square metres and an FSI of 15.5 times the lot area. Rental Housing Demolition Application No. 20 151708 NNY 15 RH.

--------------------------------------------------------------

MOD Developments + architectsAlliance: 35 storeys (122.50 metres including MPH)

East elevation:

1592294481965.png

West elevation:

1592294558773.png

South elevation:

1592294668291.png

North elevation:

1592294727467.png

Site context:

1592294801412.png

Last edited:
It's basically because of the floorplate shape that it's needed, the hallway is simply placed inside the unit instead of being a common hall as it only services the singular unit.

Still, the buyer will pay for that useless space. A discounted price typically, but the unit would still be more expensive than the exact same unit without the hallway would have been.

Back