Toronto Golden Mile Shopping Centre Redevelopment | ?m | 48s | Choice Properties | Giannone Petricone

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is big, just across the street from Eglinton Square :eek:

1880-1890 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 37 - Scarborough District

►View All Properties

Official Plan Amendment application to add new policies to the Official Plan that would guide the re-development of the Golden Mile Shopping Centre at 1880-1892 Eglinton Ave. East and 1523 & 1525-1545 Victoria Park Ave. for a new mixed-use, transit-oriented neighbourhood that would include a new network of streets and blocks, open spaces and parks, community-oriented retail including a new food store, and a variety of housing options.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Site Plan:
upload_2016-12-23_11-2-41.png

Renderings:
upload_2016-12-23_11-4-16.png

upload_2016-12-23_11-4-47.png

upload_2016-12-23_11-5-15.png

upload_2016-12-23_11-5-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-23_11-2-41.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-2-41.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 3,778
  • upload_2016-12-23_11-4-16.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-4-16.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,611
  • upload_2016-12-23_11-4-47.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-4-47.png
    1,020 KB · Views: 3,311
  • upload_2016-12-23_11-5-15.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-5-15.png
    833.1 KB · Views: 3,278
  • upload_2016-12-23_11-5-44.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-5-44.png
    908.7 KB · Views: 3,080
Wow! I noticed in your third image, two towers on top of Eglinton Square mall. Any background on them?

While a drastic improvement over what's there now. I see some real shortcomings.

I'll take it that the 'renders' of the buildings are merely conceptual and refrain from any discussion of style.

My first thought concerns the proposed park space.

Its framed height immediately abutting the southern and western edges of space, that leaves me concerned as to light levels in the park.

Not merely from an enjoyment perspective, but healthy tree growth.

Second thought, I'm not completely happy w/the proposed road layout.

I'd rather see this parcel divided by 2 north-south public roads all the way through, so that you'd get six parcels/blocks minimum at completion.

I think that's closer to human scale.

I do like the new street aligned w/Eglinton Square (O'Connor) in what appears to be a more 'regular' intersection that the current, awkward configuration.

I do wonder how that will work, in conjunction w/the LRT where the current configuration supports all right turns to Eglinton East.

While not in Choice's direct purview, it would be my preference to see the plaza to the south, and some of the existing rentals on the streets to the south blended in.

This would allow for the full grid-pattern of roads, including 2 or even 3 east-west streets, w/easier access for those in the existing area south to Eglinton, shopping and the LRT.

It would also permit, in conjunction w/greater height a deal under which the existing badly aging rental stock could be replaced, but existing tenants have their existing rents retained as part of 'public benefit'/inclusionary zoning.

Renderings often include things that don't exist in them........but I am curious about the way they altered the Eglinton Square triangle and paved part of it............is there a plan I don't know about? Or did they just think that looked better?

I always knew this site would be developed! I just wish there was office space here to give a new meaning to "The Golden Mile".

Like the Eglinton Square development plan, this is likely a submission to express the owners interest in the secondary plan planning process. Don't expect this to get built for a long time, and it will likely look very, very different. It'll probably be a similar process to what One Yonge has gone through.

Have the soon-to-be residents started yelling about how their part of the LRT should be underground yet?

Given the mess that that intersection already is, and given what the additional development will contribute, I think there's a very strong case to be made for having at least that stop be underground.

Given the mess that that intersection already is, and given what the additional development will contribute, I think there's a very strong case to be made for having at least that stop be underground.

I agree with a below-grade station, due to the complex nature of the road network in this area. A trenched, but open, station, rather than a completely underground station, would really be best to get around Victoria Park and Eglinton Square.

Anyone know why above ground is never at option for the TTC? Lots of cities--esp in Asia-- are currently building extensive above ground transit lines. They may not be aesthetically pleasing (though they do create a unique atmosphere in places like Chicago and the Bronx) they must be considerably cheaper than digging tunnels.

One of the big problems with above-ground routes in this climate is the ravages of winter. Power switches freezing comes to mind as one fairly common obstacle on really cold days. As the saying goes, "expect delays."

Trenching is certainly cheaper than tunnelling but you don't insulate yourself from wind and frigid conditions.... a tunnel affords an improved measure of climate control/predictability.

Good to see some development taking off. The built environment of this part of town always gave me a very bad sense

Back