Vaughan TYSSE: Highway 407 Station | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

The sad thing is that the area bound by 407, the hydro corridor, 400, and Jane could handle significant development which could make this station at least partially useful. Sadly it seems the plan is for a surface lot and eventually some MTO/GO maintenance yard.

The sad thing is that the area bound by 407, the hydro corridor, 400, and Jane could handle significant development which could make this station at least partially useful. Sadly it seems the plan is for a surface lot and eventually some MTO/GO maintenance yard.

That's pretty much like 407 on proposed Hurontario LRT right? No words of development around there, just parking and bus stops in addition to a station.

What's the reason behind these proposals for TTC and MT/BT to set up a station right close to a tollway?

That said, this would greatly help reducing VIVA travel time, as well as reducing a need for "York-bound" TTC buses. But when is it the slated completion again?

And the White Elephant of the Year award goes to...drum roll, please...the 407 station! Ceremony to be held on the concourse level, after-party on the maintenance level. Valet parking provided for only 600 cars, so arrive early.

Really? I just skimmed through it and didn't catch the cost of the station.

I think it serves exactly the purpose it's intended to serve. It was never meant to serve Jane street directly. It was and is a commuter parking lot subway station, nothing more nothing less. At least they didn't go and build some fancy overpriced unecessary station building.

It's one station on the line that I'm actually ok with.

Yeah, I was at a meeting discussing this at some point and there is far less developable land around there then you might think. There's the hydro corridor and I believe some of the adjacent land is TRCA-protected....

Anyway, VMC and York U are going to be where development is. 407 is for parking and (eventually) the transit hub.

And - lookee! A picture from Aedas:
bd955c82-eddd-48b2-9843-50b9eed7f8d6.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I was at a meeting discussing this at some point and there is far less developable land around there then you might think. There's the hydro corridor and I believe some of the adjacent land is TRCA-protected....

The hydro corridor is on the south side and the TRCA lands are up against Jane. There is still a good 15 to 20 hectares of land which could be developed... about the size of an area bound by University, King, Yonge, and Front. If you look at the site on Google Maps you can see how far south the buildings can extend by looking at the Toronto Star building on the other side of the 400. In the places where there is currently flat fields and north of the hydro corridor is developable.

^ OMFG, have they not learned a thing about how not to build overly cavernous subway stops from the massively overbuilt Sheppard Line stops yet? :eek:

Really? I just skimmed through it and didn't catch the cost of the station.

I think it serves exactly the purpose it's intended to serve. It was never meant to serve Jane street directly. It was and is a commuter parking lot subway station, nothing more nothing less. At least they didn't go and build some fancy overpriced unecessary station building.

It's one station on the line that I'm actually ok with.

Final cost of construction for the worst-subway-stop-location-ever-concieved is $134 million. Honestly it'd be an easier pill to swallow if this were made to be the only direct YUS subway/407 transitway connection and the Longbridge Stn was scraped. It's really not warranted.

Wow, how can so much money be spent on a station that will see so little use for the next 30-50 years, if ever.

This shows that the TTC can't build subways, as they end up being huge caverns with sprawling facilities that will quickly degrade due to lack of maintenance. Each station is over budget for no apparent reason. $95M is a lot of money for this station, and now they are looking to spend $135M?

This is why Toronto can't have a proper subway network. The TTC is incapable of building efficient stations. All that is needed are wide platforms and a simple entrance, but no, we get these gigantic stations in the middle of nowhere.

Just think, if we could shave off $100 mil from this the TTC would be back in black for another year! :cool:

A tremendous waste. :( Really, do these people have no sense? I'd much rather this station was just a pit with a platform, which really is all it needs. When a bus terminal is buildable, build it over. Don't make us swallow this cost for nothing, out here, where no one ever uses the subway.

Last edited:
Well, I for one am in favour of having nice stations instead of "a pit with a platform". It's not like money saved here would be given to a different transit project.

Wow, how can so much money be spent on a station that will see so little use for the next 30-50 years, if ever.
I'm not quite sure what the details of the Transitway are, but I don't think it's fair to label it as "a station that will see so little use for the next 30-50 years, if ever." But even if it is to get traffic, there's not really any excuse to build a station that huge and extravagant.

Imainge, if they built a normal station instead of this, subway costs could be cut by $100 million per kilometer. Take a look at something like Steeles on the Yonge line. Even if they built a slightly less extravagant station, like around the note of $50 million/km, they could save sooo much money. Then, we wouldn't get complaints of $360 million/km subway building.

The only word I can think for this is "irresponsible."

Back