Toronto Motto | 44.85m | 13s | Sierra | RAW Design

adHominem

Member Bio
Reaction score
Posted today by Ana Bailão, "Pre-Application Community Consultation Meeting" happening on 19 September for the properties at 980–990 Bloor St W & 756 Dovercourt Road. Apologies if this is a duplicate, but I couldn't find a thread for this address.
CrxvURXWEAAHWhs.jpg

Attachments

• CrxvURXWEAAHWhs.jpg
    CrxvURXWEAAHWhs.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 5,130
Interesting to see Main & Main Development involved here. Especially at a section of Bloor West that hasn't seen much redevelopment activity yet.

Article with reactions from the meeting. Sounds like this is still in the very preliminary stages.

http://m.insidetoronto.com/news-sto...l-at-bloor-and-dovercourt-will-have-an-impact
I guess that's one tactic; the approach is essentially "we actually have a plan in mind, but we are not going to tell you right now. Instead, let's have the residents get everything off their chests first without us revealing anything first, and we'll go back to the drawing board and see if there are any shared interests, so that we can focus on them at the next meeting, in order to minimize back-and-forths while conforming to the agreed-upon number of community meetings we have to hold"
As I live just down the street on Dovercourt, this is a very intriguing project along with the Paradise Cinema revitalization just a few doors down on Bloor.

Main & Main's approach here is wise. They've already begun developing a plan and have selected their architect but are feeling out the community first so that nothing comes as too much of a surprise when all is finally revealed.

Just heard about this redevelopment. The developer's website has a small pic of their proposal in their "portfolio" page, and I'm surprised by the height. Looks like at least 9 stories (the top of the building is cut off). I've heard rumours they are proposing 16 stories. Seems high for Bloor, considering how narrow the street is here.

http://www.mainandmain.ca

The zoning for mixed use buildings along Bloor West is pretty tight (3 storey height maximum IIRC). Is there any precedent of the OMB approving something tall in the area? There are some taller apartments further west, but nothing in the last couple decades.

This lot is subject to a zoning bylaw exception passed by the Former City of Toronto... not sure if that gets them out of height restrictions.

I live in and love the area deeply, so I'm leery of change, but three storeys along Bloor is absurdly low-density – it's a major street with a subway underneath it! Plus, if we want things to be more affordable, we need to build far more housing supply.

There's three towers-in-the-park just south on Davenport, and the retirement home at Dufferin, but otherwise it's strictly low-rise for blocks and blocks around. I can't see this getting 16 if that rumoured ask is true. Nine seems reasonable, but even that's going to result in much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I'm sure.

There's also a beloved bakery on this site, and that's sure to be a big thing with folks in the neighbourhood.

But, yeah, put me in the camp that thinks that 3 storeys is pretty damn stupid on top of one of two subway lines we have in the city.

Back