Vaughan Vaughan Centre PwC Tower/YMCA/Library | 49.98m | 9s | SmartCentres | Diamond Schmitt

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New office building and YMCA / Library in the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Will be on part of the current Walmart parking lot, beside the new bus terminal.

6bmnwK6.jpg

g1cDzPH.png

1eAJady.jpg

I don't really have an issue with the parking garage, if its purpose is to serve transit users.

It can always be torn down later, similar to the Yorkdale TTC garage.

I think the garage is for office building parking, not transit. But even if was, the 407 station would be the place for it, not here.

Don't want to add to the metropolis vs aspiring metropolis battle however parking garages attached business do exist in downtown Toronto, (the garage on the esplanade behind/connected to the novotel, the equally derided harbourfront garage at harbour and simcoe, IIRC one in the entertainment district Richmond and Spadina?). So having a parking garage isn't necessarily an un-urban development. At the very least a multi-story garage is better than a single ground level parking 'moat'

I'm really wondering how the images of Vaughan Corporate Centre's future align with reality. I just can't help but wonder, is the Walmart, along with other buildings in the area moving or staying? What about all the buildings that already exist? It seems to me that the images of this future area are not 100% accurate.
For example look at this image of buildings where Wal-Mart exists and Rona. Do we just assume that these buildings will magically vanish?
:
vaughan-metropolitain-centre-4.jpg

vaughan-metropolitain-centre-2.jpg

This seems to be the most accurate image with Walmart, Rona and other existing buildings still in tact:
phase-2031b_slide-1024x662.jpg

[Sorry I don't wear else to post this, I'm new to this site]

They will eventually be removed, but Calloway REIT will presumably develop the rest of the current empty lands first.

Big box retail structures aren't designed to last either - developers usually plan them with 30 year lifespans to make their money, any extra life after that is a "bonus". The Walmart et al were built in the early 2000's, which means the late 2020's or early 2030's for redevelopment.

The building this thread is the subject of is already eating away at the Walmart parking lot - they will eventually be torn down.

Does this have a thread already?

PWC TO ANCHOR NEW OFFICE TOWER AT VAUGHAN METROPOLITAN CENTRE
SmartREIT and partner Mitchell Goldhar this week unveiled plans for a new 220k SF Class-A office tower at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre that’ll have PwC Canada as its anchor. VMC, a new downtown for Vaughan at Highways 400 and 7, will be a 40M SF development centred around new mass transit, including a subway connecting directly to downtown Toronto. The PwC tower will be adjacent to the 360k SF KPMG office tower (above), opening in October. The new office tower also will be home to a 100k SF flagship YMCA with childcare, fitness and aquatic facilities, plus a 20k SF City of Vaughan library and studio space. SmartREIT VMC is Canada's largest urban mixed-use development, noted SmartREIT CEO Huw Thomas, whose firm owns 53 acres of developable land around the subway station in a 50/50 JV with Mitchell, SmartREIT’s chair and largest unit holder. The partners plan to develop 8M to 10M SF of commercial, residential and retail there as part of a 100-acre master planned project (the remainder of the land is owned by Mitchell in partnership with others). The VMC ultimately will have 17M SF of mixed-use space and a nine-acre park. The subway station, the GTA’s most northerly, opens in late 2017.

Link

57a32c7128cfa_VMC_public_realm.jpeg
57a32c4c52383_VMC_aerial.jpeg

Attachments

• 57a32c7128cfa_VMC_public_realm.jpeg
    57a32c7128cfa_VMC_public_realm.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,054
  • 57a32c4c52383_VMC_aerial.jpeg
    57a32c4c52383_VMC_aerial.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,043
latest rendering of the project:

20453-70147.jpg

also looks like PwC is going to anchor this building. A bit of a financial / accounting hub setting up in VMC now with both PwC and KPMG.

https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news...ce-tower-at-vaughan-metropolitan-centre-63629

SmartREIT and partner Mitchell Goldhar this week unveiled plans for a new 220k SF Class-A office tower at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre that’ll have PwC Canada as its anchor. VMC, a new downtown for Vaughan at Highways 400 and 7, will be a 40M SF development centred around new mass transit, including a subway connecting directly to downtown Toronto. The PwC tower will be adjacent to the 360k SF KPMG office tower (above), opening in October. The new office tower also will be home to a 100k SF flagship YMCA with childcare, fitness and aquatic facilities, plus a 20k SF City of Vaughan library and studio space.

I wonder what will happen to NYCC (York mills) offices for KPMG, maybe they'll move out here

I wonder what will happen to NYCC (York mills) offices for KPMG, maybe they'll move out here
Yup, my understanding is our York Mills offices plus some satellite downtown ones are moving up there.

Back