News   Apr 19, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 515     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 865     3 

243 Niagara St (Concept Lofts, 4s, ?)

this does look like a great infill for the area. I like it

not a huge fan of the yellow but it does go with many of the other buildings in the area

16 March 2013:

rps20130317200501.jpg

Sorry to reboot an old thread, but does anyone know what happened to this one? the house on site currently looks about ready to collapse.. The projects website is still up but says "under maintenance", and I found an OMB ruling that indicates it's been approved.. Just wondering when the eyesore of a house there currently will bite the dust.

w4VlAJD.jpg

Additionally, what happened to the project at the southeast corner of Niagara & Tecumseth?

Sorry to reboot an old thread, but does anyone know what happened to this one? the house on site currently looks about ready to collapse.. The projects website is still up but says "under maintenance", and I found an OMB ruling that indicates it's been approved.. Just wondering when the eyesore of a house there currently will bite the dust.

It's Niagara and Adelaide, not Niagara and Mitchell as the thread title states.

The house has sat empty with nothing happening other than it essentially falling apart for well over a year now. I've been wondering about it for a while as I live right down the street.
Funny that you mention it now though, as it finally looks like there's some activity. I haven't seen any actual people on site, but there are a couple of dumpsters now on the property and it looks like the south wall has been fully stripped of whatever siding material was there. Most importantly, it actually looks like the recent changes to the property have been done by actual humans and not by weather, as has been the case up until now.
So, it does look like demolition is actually in the early stages (finally).

Actually there hasn't been much activity for more than two years now despite having all 4 units sold, but building permit signs has been posted on the property this past week or so, so expect some action to happen very soon.
IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5645.JPG
IMG_5646.JPG
IMG_5647.JPG
IMG_5648.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    963.7 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_5645.JPG
    IMG_5645.JPG
    475.4 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_5646.JPG
    IMG_5646.JPG
    809.2 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_5647.JPG
    IMG_5647.JPG
    862.3 KB · Views: 948
  • IMG_5648.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 916
Wow, this is not what I expected.
There has been a lot of changes from the original design, but not for the better.

Black brick has been replaced with grey and white EIFS. The orange cladding replaced with fake woodgrain Hardy board. The building's entrance and elevator has been moved to the other side of the building -- seems like the building has been flipped in plan (the two tiny bedrooms in each unit now spans the west end of the building).
IMG_8235.JPG

Much of its architectural detailing has been stripped. Looks rather flat and drab. The fake wood trim looks more hideous in person.
IMG_8236.JPG

Yes, that's spandrel panel, on a low-rise building:
IMG_8237.JPG

Elevator and stairwell is now located on the east end of the building (was on the west), eliminating the large windows and balconies on this façade:
IMG_8238.JPG

Here is what it was supposed to look like -- not great but better than what was actually built, thanks OMB!
219fc8_530a.png
243-niagara-condos-02.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8235.JPG
    IMG_8235.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 871
  • IMG_8236.JPG
    IMG_8236.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 856
  • IMG_8237.JPG
    IMG_8237.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 884
  • IMG_8238.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 851
  • 219fc8_530a.png
    219fc8_530a.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 791
  • 243-niagara-condos-02.jpg
    243-niagara-condos-02.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 813
who says that is OMB approved? the changes are a site plan matter, the zoning looks more or less the same.

The city still has to give site plan approval for board approved zoning applications.

It's really too bad, I was hoping this would be a good example on how to intensify urban neighborhoods.

edit: now that I think of it this thing is probably too small to need site plan approval. The developer was probably free to do whatever they wanted, really.

Last edited:
I believe I was thinking of the Niagara Street cafe...must have been another corner in the neighbourhood.

Wow, this is not what I expected.
There has been a lot of changes from the original design, but not for the better.

Black brick has been replaced with grey and white EIFS. The orange cladding replaced with fake woodgrain Hardy board. The building's entrance and elevator has been moved to the other side of the building -- seems like the building has been flipped in plan (the two tiny bedrooms in each unit now spans the west end of the building).
View attachment 92760

Much of its architectural detailing has been stripped. Looks rather flat and drab. The fake wood trim looks more hideous in person.
View attachment 92761

Yes, that's spandrel panel, on a low-rise building:
View attachment 92762

Elevator and stairwell is now located on the east end of the building (was on the west), eliminating the large windows and balconies on this façade:
View attachment 92763

Here is what it was supposed to look like -- not great but better than what was actually built, thanks OMB!
View attachment 92764 View attachment 92765
Now that it's built, I'm mentally renaming Concept Lofts 'Execution Lofts', and my thoughts regarding it are tending toward the more indecent interpretation.

Back