Toronto 2221 Yonge Condos | 192.62m | 58s | Tower Hill | Pei Partnership

Yep, The segments in the photo are Ontario Tall Walls

Didn't realize they were the tall walls earlier. Their scale became apparent walking by them recently.

17186041139_eacfa687b6_b.jpg

17184705180_2cfeb8fd6f_b.jpg

16749755804_d69573a03a_b.jpg

17346320126_964eb46123_b.jpg

17186044279_7c1dc08ae1_b.jpg

I can confirm that demolition has started. My balcony faces the rear of the building and I can hear them tearing out the metal and heaving it on the ground.

A shame we have to lose that office building. Y&E is going to become a bedroom suburb at this pace.
Plus your comment from the Cumberland & Yorkville project: "I'll miss the office space and jobs in the middle of Yorkville."

Why are you so enamored with nasty little office buildings filled with fraudulent businesses?

Why are you so enamored with nasty little office buildings filled with fraudulent businesses?

I don't know about the tenants but office buildings make for vibrant neighbourhoods. Especially during the day when they are full. I'd hate to see Y&E become an area that's only busy during commuting hours. And buildings like this let smaller companies find cheap space. Not everyone can move into brand new towers downtown.

Plus your comment from the Cumberland & Yorkville project: "I'll miss the office space and jobs in the middle of Yorkville."

Fraudulent businesses? So every business that isn't a major corporation is a fraudulent business?

Ridiculous aspersions aside, there are any number of reasons to spread jobs and residences around the city. One might likewise ask why you're so 'enamored' with shiny, new, single-use, residential neighbourhoods which dispense of perfectly viable and very popular Class B and C office space in the name of a quick profit? Who are you, Peter Smith?

These low class buildings may be popular but, I disagree on their long term viability. Rents are usually too low to cover maintenance and repair.

These low class buildings may be popular but, I disagree on their long term viability. Rents are usually too low to cover maintenance and repair.

Yes and no ... some tenants actively seek out such spaces due to the low rent ... there are plenty of class c (not recently renovated) buildings downtown that are fully occupied.

So that was the "no" aspect, the "yes" aspect is I agree higher rent office space is better for the area generally speaking.

One argument I can make though is good or bad office space is much more valuable than residential use ... the vibrant nodes in the city of a mix or are close to both; They drive commercial activity during the day .. without this the area will be another bedroom community.

Class B or C buildings are very important for small businesses. I would love to be in a class A building but they generally don't offer smaller spaces. After CF bought back our lease at the Eaton Centre in order to consolidate several smaller spaces, we ended up at 44 Victoria, and it is just as expensive.

Yes and no ... some tenants actively seek out such spaces due to the low rent ... there are plenty of class c (not recently renovated) buildings downtown that are fully occupied.
So that was the "no" aspect, the "yes" aspect is I agree higher rent office space is better for the area generally speaking.
One argument I can make though is good or bad office space is much more valuable than residential use ... the vibrant nodes in the city of a mix or are close to both; They drive commercial activity during the day .. without this the area will be another bedroom community.

Your key point was "actively seek" I'm simply saying that with Toronto's growth in population and commercial businesses, then realistically you're not going to have cheap office space immediately above the intersection of 2 subway lines. There are many other low cost locations and always will be. Just have to look a few blocks away. And if not someone will build them.

Sign of a healthy city.

Back