News   Mar 28, 2024
 616     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 441     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 771     0 

Emerald City/Parkway Forest: New Rental Buildings (ELAD Canada, various, WZMH)

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Community Masterplan

emerald-plan.jpg

"Parkway Forest Redevelopment Urban Design Guidelines" provides loads of information: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-4953.pdf

City Planning final approval staff report (June 2007) is very informative as well for those considering a unit in this development: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-4691.pdf

What's going on at this site?

I was driving by today and noticed that a huge pit was dug out !

Sorry I didn't have a camera with me. :eek:

passing by the area yesterday, I too noticed the construction equipment on site working away as cdr108 noted ~

however, I believe El-Ad is starting construction only on the replacement rental buildings first (indicated as bldgs A2 + D1 on the below plan) as required by the City before they can tear down the existing rental buildings to make room for the future condos ... my guess is Emerald City (the condo) towers probably won't start construction for another year at best

emerald-plan.jpg

thanks for the update drum 118 ... I believe the east tower you refer to would correspond to the rental replacement building D1, while the west tower corresponds to the rental replacement building A2 ... Emerald City condos (bldgs A1+A6+A8) is a little ways from construction start still :D

passing by the area yesterday, I too noticed the construction equipment on site working away as cdr108 noted ~

however, I believe El-Ad is starting construction only on the replacement rental buildings first (indicated as bldgs A2 + D1 on the below plan) as required by the City before they can tear down the existing rental buildings to make room for the future condos ... my guess is Emerald City (the condo) towers probably won't start construction for another year at best

emerald-plan.jpg

East tower is DI as per plan and A2 is West tower.

From what I was seeing, I expected the 2 existing towers where going to be replace by the new towers.

First time seeing the layout of the area.

FYI ... the two existing 17s beige rental towers will remain (shown as bldgs A9 + D3 above) ... the new rental replacement buildings A2 + D1 are to replace existing brown bricked 7s rental buildings that are to be demolished to allow the Emerald City condos to be built (being bldgs A1, A3 to A8)

i'm not following this plan ...

the existing tower is ~ 17s, yet the new replacement rental is only 6-9s ???
how can that work, or did the city allow them to construct less rentals?

edit: never mind, solaris just provided an explanation to another post that clarified.

Last edited:
cdr108... the rental replacement buildings under construction (A1 + D1) are to replace the existing 7s brown bricked building at the southeast corner of Don Mills Road and Sheppard Avenue shown below:

411856780_8e6c90a60f.jpg

City Planning final approval staff report (June 2007) is very informative in outlining what existing buildings are being demolished and how the rental units are being replaced: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-4691.pdf

Existing Overall Plan on page 22 ... Proposed Overall Plan on page 23

They had to dig into the other building's underground parking? Weird.

Not weird. Happens all the time when these old tower sites are intensified. These old towers in a park mostly have single storey underground garages that extend far outside the building footprint. You really can't avoid them unless you dig really deep (the hole is already planned to be 3 or 4 storeys deep) or apply to lower the parking requirements.

Personally I think it's an amazing (and exciting) sight to see these towers in the park developments getting intensified in reality - we've been talking about it for what, a generation...

AoD

Aug 20 update

Thanks for the update Solaris!

More updates from the construction site. A lot of progress within a month!

West tower:
3840652967_e2340b7aa6_b.jpg

3840653309_decfb09d44_b.jpg

East tower:
3840653705_f123d09266_b.jpg

And tower 2 is also 36 storeys? The site model images in previous page shows that tower 2 is shorter than tower 1.

Back