Markham York University/Seneca College: Markham Centre Campus | 56.08m | 13s | York University | Diamond Schmitt

Not bad at all.

York submits long-awaited proposal for new campus

http://www.excal.on.ca/york-submits-long-awaited-proposal-for-new-campus/
yorku.jpg

Last edited:
Though I'm sure its clear only the shorter 3 buildings are part of this ... they look OK ... hopefully the design will refine overtime.

But seriously, surface parking .....

as there is with the rest of the developments in Downtown Markham so far. Its clearly labelled as temporary parking however.

Why not integrate the parking into the first phases ? I never understand that, well I do, its much cheaper ... but 'temporary' could be (and most likely will be) years down the road ...

The first phase should have enough parking for the development, and the second phase can add another underground parking.

most of the parking space in Downtown Markham seems to be planned to be added through above ground garages as they are cheaper, in the $30,000 a spot range instead of $50,000+ an underground spot can cost.

most of the parking space in Downtown Markham seems to be planned to be added through above ground garages as they are cheaper, in the $30,000 a spot range instead of $50,000+ an underground spot can cost.

Those #s seem off I've seen stats before and above ground surface parking garages are about 50% the cost ... but your point is absolutely valid. But again, I don't see why that couldn't have been accomplished in phase 1 regardless, make the 15 story build a couple stories higher and integrate a parking garage

It appears that all of the buildings on site look the same.. I would rather see some variety.

As for the surface parking, I don't think it's such a big deal, as I am sure that it will be built over rather quickly. York's Keele campus is losing surface parking fast with its current construction boom (Pan Am stadium and engineering building under construction at the moment).

The above ground garages are popping up in Downtown Markham because the water table is very high in spots here apparently, with its proximity to the Rouge River. Must be a factor of the subsurface conditions too.

It appears that all of the buildings on site look the same.. I would rather see some variety.

As for the surface parking, I don't think it's such a big deal, as I am sure that it will be built over rather quickly. York's Keele campus is losing surface parking fast with its current construction boom (Pan Am stadium and engineering building under construction at the moment).

huh based on what ? The grey buildings in the background in the rendering, ignore those, they're not approved / proposed / anything.

In terms of the YOrkU buildings themselves they do look a little generic, I'd hope for something a little nicer, but given its YOrkU .. lol .. btw this isn't a knock at the school, I went there, rather most of their newly constructed buildings in the last 10 years or so.

If the province actually builds two-way all-day service, this campus will massively expand. great addition methinks

Just so everyone knows: those are just press photos. I (as Excalibur's EEO) decided to use those ones because they're somewhat useful in conveying: NEW BUILDINGS as opposed to a boring report cover. We don't know who the actual architect will be, because the university is waiting for approval in what will probably be the spring budget.

The architect has not been announced yet, but there is a firm working on this proposal. I'm not sure what you mean by "just press photos". While they would not reflect a final design, can we not assume that at the least the images represent proposed massing and design concept plans?

that's what I meant. It's a massing plan, but that building probably won't be built in that architectural style, to those worrying.

I get the feeling, from talking to university staff, they might try and do something spectacular. They've been talking about aiming for LEED Gold and linking with the Markham District energy plan, for example.

Back