Toronto 7 Labatt | 126.18m | 38s | TAS | HOK

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.regionalarchitects.com/project/labbatt-urban-village

Labbatt Urban Village

We developed a Concept Design for a mixed-use, vertical urban village at 7 Labatt Avenue in Toronto’s east end. It is a model for sustainable design with extensive green roofs and urban agriculture, rooftop greenhouses, high-efficiency envelope design, passive ventilation and shading strategies, a highly integrated public realm with exceptional bicycle and communal auto-ownership facilities, and elevated green spaces that extend the green of the Don Valley up onto terraced rooftops and sky gardens.

Revitalizing the tradition of mixed-use riverfront development along the Don River, the urban village strives to connect Corktown and Regent Park neighbourhoods to the Don by creating an enhanced streetscape of pedestrian, cycling and vehicular linkages flanked by a mix of community service and cultural organizations such as Artscape, Evergreen and the Salvation Army.

The development presents a unique a mix of housing ownership types and forms that reflects the diverse needs in the community and the tremendous benefit of integrating affordable rental and ownership housing with market rate housing. The vertical urban village employs a sustainable, flexible architecture that allows the building to evolve over time to accommodate changing demographic and community needs, including the transition from smaller to larger residential units (and vice versa), as well as the transition from residential to commercial uses.

Is this an actual proposal or a fantasy? I'm business partner of the owners of this building and am surprised to see this.

Looks like the Salvation Army bldg. will be torn down

77 RIVER ST
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

To allow for an Official Plan Ammendment and the Rezoning of the subject lands to construct a new two tower (26 Storey and 34 Storey) mixed use building containing 578 dwelling units and retail and office uses on the ground floor. Three levels of below grade parking will be provided containing 364 parking spaces.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 14 175807 STE 28 OZ Jun 17, 2014 Under Review

Does anyone care to take a guess about how long it'll be from here to demolition?

Some more information on this - have they may have gotten square metres and square feet mixed up?????

An Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application has been submitted for the subject lands to permit the construction of a new two tower (26 Storey and 34 Storey) mixed use building containing 578 dwelling units. The proposal contains 5,072 square metres of retail space located on the 1st and 2nd floors as well as 7,994 square metres of office uses located on the 3rd and 4th floors. Three levels of below grade parking containing 364 parking spaces are proposed.

Development notice is up

O7hZIp3.jpg

About time.... it's a low-key, grungy little area but I could see the appeal of tall residential lining the Don. I remember working out of some cheap and dive-y office space for a movie of the week down on Labatt... that was maybe fifteen years ago now. The area was particularly creepy late at night. It's getting better but it's still rough around the edges and there's still some shady business being conducted on the corners and in the back alleys located south of the Mercedes dealership and north of Shuter. Given the surging state of this town it's inevitable that there be a gentrification push eastward.

Still has 5 square kilometres of retail and 8 square kilometres of office space. Lol

I think you have that wrong - 7994m2 is 0.007994km2

And for my part I want to say that proposing over 50,000 ft² of retail space and over 80,000 ft² of office space in that area is pretty impressive.

Back