Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

Does NYC, London, or Paris have water-spraying ornamental dog sculptures in any of their fountains?

Does NYC, London, or Paris have water-spraying ornamental dog sculptures in any of their fountains?

Not to my knowledge, but last time I checked, we arent NYC, London or Paris. They are all much larger cities that have existed for a good deal longer than Toronto and comparisons are pointless.

Thank you! That was kind of my point to emphasize that we are different. I get exhausted by reading the comparisons (...you know who you are who mention those other cities every post!)

Claude Cormier is the man. I think the dog theme is awesome and it's going to create 'human theatre' too. And this should be a distinctly Toronto fountain.

Thank you! That was kind of my point to emphasize that we are different. I get exhausted by reading the comparisons (...you know who you are who mention those other cities every post!)

Claude Cormier is the man. I think the dog theme is awesome and it's going to create 'human theatre' too. And this should be a distinctly Toronto fountain.

It is also very similar to the Claude Cormier design for the L Tower's public plaza, which should make for an interesting look with these spaces a block apart.

That's where they hold the doggie festival ever year, so it's a good place for a playful, doggie fountain. I think downtown Toronto has more dogs than kids now. It's about time dogs got their due.

err no, that looks extremely cheesy, I thought that was just a picture of dogs ... but later read the in the caption they are indeed going to be 'sculptures' ... so all the water spraying originates from various dog sculptures !! I plan on emailing them. If others feel the same please do so as well: BerczyPark@gmail.com

Last edited:
err no, that looks extremely cheesy, I thought that was just a picture of dogs ... but later read the in the caption they are indeed going to be 'sculptures' ... so all the water spraying originates from various dog sculptures !! I plan on emailing them. If others feel the same please do so as well: BerczyPark@gmail.com
Were you at the recent public meeting when the final plan was unveiled? The fountain (with fewer dogs than initially suggested) was supported by almost everyone there - it is supposed to be 'playful feature' and will, I think, work out rather well. Claude Cormier is a very talented park designer and his 'playful features' - like the pink umbrellas at Sugar Beach tend to work out well.

Agreed... and they do admit this choice was questioned. "Claude Cormier also defended the choice of dog accent sculptures, since they reflect the new and evolving character of the neighbourhood." What, is it evolving into a massive kindergarten?

Agreed... and they do admit this choice was questioned. "Claude Cormier also defended the choice of dog accent sculptures, since they reflect the new and evolving character of the neighbourhood." What, is it evolving into a massive kindergarten?

I like the dog fountain, does it mention what material they will be sculpted from? Hopefully a nice bronze or comparable metal.

Have you no appreciation of whimsy, eccentricity or simple playfulness? Bah, humbug! That's exactly what this anal retentive, conservative city needs. Let's have a bit of fun and try something different every now and then.

Or would you prefer just pipes shooting water in the air, like we have now?

Last edited:
Have you no appreciation of whimsy, eccentricity or simple playfulness? Bah, humbug! That's exactly what this anal retentive, conservative city needs. Let's have a bit of fun and try something different every now and then.

Or would you prefer just pipes shooting water in the air, like we have now?

Honestly, in some ways yes I do think I'd prefer what we have now. That's not to say I'd mind say 1 or 2 such dog squirting sculptures at the base (I'm not exactly sure how else to refer to them), but for every part of the fountain (i.e. as you say where the traditional 'pipes' would typically go) to be replaced by a ... dog ... seems a little much (a lot much actually). Please try to envision it, at first glance it sounds OK, but when you visualize it, the only word that comes to mind is cheesy ...

Honestly, in some ways yes I do think I'd prefer what we have now. That's not to say I'd mind say 1 or 2 such dog squirting sculptures at the base (I'm not exactly sure how else to refer to them), but for every part of the fountain (i.e. as you say where the traditional 'pipes' would typically go) to be replaced by a ... dog ... seems a little much (a lot much actually). Please try to envision it, at first glance it sounds OK, but when you visualize it, the only word that comes to mind is cheesy ...

That word doesn't come to mind at all. How about playful or energetic?

Back