Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

atodaso

Member Bio
Reaction score
This has been in the works for awhile, but I finally came across these renderings by Superkul and couldn't resist posting here.

Ownership of the Waterworks building was transferred to Build Toronto in 2012 for the purpose of eventual sale and redevelopment - BUT, the transfer was done in conjunction with the Heritage Designation of the complex, ensuring its preservation almost in it's unaltered entirely. Almost, because part of this proposal includes a residential tower to be constructed in the existing courtyard. It's unfortunate that condos must get shoe-horned into every corner of the city, but in this case this increased density will finance the preservation of the Historic Market Buildings, as well as their conversion to a variety of uses including a public market and possibly something posh like an Eataly, according to the renderings below:

Also see these planning and heritage related documents:

http://www.wellingtonplace.org/resources/KingSpadina_Urban_Design_Guideline_04-06.pdf

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-45411.pdf

cam_A_v52.jpg
cam_B_v53-819x554.jpg
cam_C_v54-819x554.jpg

Attachments

• cam_A_v52.jpg
    cam_A_v52.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 32,793
  • cam_B_v53-819x554.jpg
    cam_B_v53-819x554.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 32,212
  • cam_C_v54-819x554.jpg
    cam_C_v54-819x554.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31,219
Another component of this is that the small parking lot to the south, next to the park, will be converted into an extension of the park itself, possibly with some hardscaping surface treatments so that it can be adapted to a variety of uses including an outdoor public market. This parking lot has always been designated as park, in spite of it's duty as a parking lot for the last several decades.

Nice find! I've always liked this Art Deco complex (I pass by it on my way to the gym) and think that there is a ton of potential here for redevelopment. Similarly to the Distillery District, the residential condos will partly fund the preservation. Love the extra tall ceilings and skylights.

With lots of new and upcoming residents in the area, more shops and restaurants are always welcome (the Queen and Portland Loblaws is always packed, so there is a significant market and demand here for more retail).

Any news on Richmond and Adelaide west of Spadina becoming two-way streets again? That would help to enliven this area.

505 Richmond Street West (Build Toronto, ?s, Turner Fleischer Architects/ERA)

Rather stale news from January 2015 but anyhow, sounds like this project is gearing up for launch by early 2016.
This project, the adaptive reuse of the existing Waterworks Building into a contemporary design reflects the needs of the surrounding neighbourhood and reinforcing the current revitalisation happening elsewhere in the City of Toronto. The proposal contemplates repurposing the existing building into a YMCA branch, retail, cafes, event hall and a community facility service (Eva Phoenix). New upper levels, that are designed to partially suspend over the existing building, will house the office and residential components. This new array of uses, alongside the renovation of a public courtyard, will become a multi-purpose hub within the neighbourhood.

mmWidJA.jpg

Click the link above for more renderings and details.

I don't know if UT has reported on this story yet. Was rather busy until recently to remember to post the info.

TF's design may not be the final design. Sounds like Build Toronto ran a competition but AFAIK, the project is proceeding in some form or another.

This design dates back to 2012 according to this Lobby Toronto entry. So perhaps UT reported on it back then?

Last edited:
I was doing some googling today and discovered
1)Eva's Initiatives is moving to 60 Brant by year end. Here's some details:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-59080.pdf

2)Section 37 funds from both The Brant Park and Fabrik Condos will be given to Eva's to help fund their move

3)Build Toronto has recently sold the remaining land to be redeveloped into rental apartments &/or condos

We have a new front page story posted about this here detailing a lot of what is going into this.

…and I'll add something I can't quite confirm yet, but I'm hearing from locals that it's MOD and Woodcliffe partnering together to drive the development, and if that's true, well, based on the past successes of both, this could be pretty exciting, and that leaves me rather in anticipation of the final word coming down!

We have a new front page story posted about this here detailing a lot of what is going into this.

…and I'll add something I can't quite confirm yet, but I'm hearing from locals that it's MOD and Woodcliffe partnering together to drive the development, and if that's true, well, based on the past successes of both, this could be pretty exciting, and that leaves me rather in anticipation of the final word coming down!

I heard the latter, fwiw.

497 RICHMOND ST W
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for OPA/Rezoning related to a 13 storey mixed use building with 2 storeys to be occupied with non residential, a total of 299 residential units.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 196378 STE 20 OZ Jul 25, 2016 Application Received

Back