News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

That's from the Auditor, not from opposition politicians.

Of course there are some who think the Auditor does not understand the electricity system because it is too complex for a woman.

I think the Auditor understands the electricity system as well as she understands all other financial accounts. Otherwise, she wouldn't be the Auditor General. But the $100bn figure is a projection. No one has actually paid that cash, so none of those dollars have been 'wasted' yet. And, when we pay our overpriced electricity bills 10 years from now (assuming no changes to the contracts), it won't be coming out of general government revenue, but rather your pocket. So, it's not government 'waste' in the classic sense of the term, right? Last, assuming Samsung and whoever else actually builds the solar/wind projects to last, the end of the contract will see a huge shift in Ontario power sources and, we can assume, some serious relief on power prices at that point.

It's a bad long-term fixed price contract in an industry that doesn't need that incentive anymore (and arguably didn't need it at the time it was signed), but the cancelling of the Oakville gas plant for naked political purposes was a scandal. This is just higher power prices than you'd otherwise pay. Meh.

That would be a sensible solution.

Wynne just had her big media event with beer in grocery stores. I don't drink, but it is about time this happened!

If anyone but Patrick Brown was PC leader, we could have a change of government because of this scandal.

Whatever happened to Monte McNaughton? Is he a back bencher again?

Last edited:
Criminal charges have been laid against two McGuinty aids for deleted hard drives in relation to the gas plants scandal.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...des-charged-in-gas-plants-computer-probe.html

If anyone but Patrick Brown was PC leader, we could have a change of government because of this scandal.

Whatever happened to Monte McNaughton? Is he a back bencher again?

How would you change governments over this no matter who was the leader of the PC party? Two people who worked for the former Premier have been charged....no one in the elected government has been charged/implicated....and even if (to draw an extreme example) the Premier was charged/tried/convicted how would that change the government in a majority parliament?

No, I mean in terms of how electable the PC's are right now. I know we are three years away from an election, but I just don't see Patrick Brown as someone who can win over the province.

No, I mean in terms of how electable the PC's are right now. I know we are three years away from an election, but I just don't see Patrick Brown as someone who can win over the province.

Both the NDP and Conservatives had their chance -- but didn't want to reinstate that plant. That was their chance to exploit that scandal, and they decided to suck up to Miss/Oak. I do hope someone goes to jail for this. Just a terrible, terrible example of politics uber alles.

Both the NDP and Conservatives had their chance -- but didn't want to reinstate that plant. That was their chance to exploit that scandal, and they decided to suck up to Miss/Oak. I do hope someone goes to jail for this. Just a terrible, terrible example of politics uber alles.
The cancellation/moving of the plants and the resultant >$1B cost are not the thing that anyone should go to jail for....that is politics and whether you or I (or anyone) thinks it is "good" politics is irrelevant in the context of the legal system.

It is the destruction of documents/emails that belong to the public that is (and should be) the subject of any legal case.

The cancellation/moving of the plants and the resultant >$1B cost are not the thing that anyone should go to jail for....that is politics and whether you or I (or anyone) thinks it is "good" politics is irrelevant in the context of the legal system.

It is the destruction of documents/emails that belong to the public that is (and should be) the subject of any legal case.

You put'em in jail for your reasons, I'll put'em in jail for mine... ;)

the interesting news out of QP today is that Kathleen Wynne knowingly lied to the NDP (and us, I guess) when she promised in the 2013 budget to lower auto insurance rates by an average of 15% province wide. It seems, now, that the figure of 15% was really just a "stretch goal" and was always a challenge.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...as-always-a-stretch-goal-says-ontario-premier

Thing is, if you recall, the budget was not getting NDP support without that promise and this thread would have had a different title. ;) :)

Back