214     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 440     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 746     0 

2003 Municipal Election: Firefighters back Miller for mayor

S

sk8rboiiii

Hehe.. I had to post this in retaliation to AreBe's post...

Union announces endorsement today

Scott Stinson
National Post

Thursday, October 30, 2003
ADVERTISEMENT

David Miller, the front-runner in the Toronto mayoralty race, is to be endorsed by the Toronto firefighters' union at a breakfast rally today.

A news release issued yesterday gave no reason for the decision to support Mr. Miller, and his press secretary did not return a call for comment last night.

The endorsement from the Toronto Professional Firefighters Association comes two days after mayoralty candidate John Tory received the endorsement of the powerful Toronto Police union.

Mr. Tory is running in third place behind Mr. Miller and Barbara Hall according to the most recent poll, but that same survey shows Mr. Tory running a close second among Torontonians most likely to vote.

Mr. Miller, the long-time city councillor, earlier won the support of local chapter the vast Canadian Union of Public Employees.

He was critical of the police union's decision to support a candidate, saying the association "shouldn't be involved in politics. They're there to enforce the law."

Ms. Hall also spoke out against the police endorsement, while Mr. Tory and fellow candidates John Nunziata and Tom Jakobek said the police had as much right to offer support as any other civic union.

The close mayoralty race -- polls show Mr. Miller's lead at less than five percentage points -- seems to have attracted the interest of voters, as city officials released numbers yesterday showing advance polling turnout has almost tripled since the 2000 election.

As of yesterday, 10,899 eligible voters had cast ballots at city hall and Toronto's five civic centres, compared with 3,674 advance votes three years ago -- a 297% increase.

Advance polls will be open on Saturday and Sunday in each of the city's 44 wards.

sstinson@nationalpost.com

© Copyright 2003 National Post

Ms. Hall also spoke out against the police endorsement

Can anyone tell me why she did this?

If the police had endorsed either Hall or Miller... both those candidates would have ranted about how they have the support of the police.

IMO, they should have kept their mouths shut after the police endorsed Tory. No need to say anything about it. I think 'sour grapes' comes to mind as to why they felt so compelled to speak out against the endorsement.

Mr. Miller, the long-time city councillor, earlier won the support of local chapter the vast Canadian Union of Public Employees.

He was critical of the police union's decision to support a candidate, saying the association "shouldn't be involved in politics. They're there to enforce the law.
POINTZ:
1 . CUPE support! -How's that for a 'No. Thanks' endorsement?
2. Firefighters "shouldn't be involved in politics. They're there to put out fires." Will they be selective in which fires they put out?

Are Be:

Perhaps you should talk about the police union, just for the sake of balance no?

GB

I am PROVIDING balance to this NDP and Liberal capitulation forum.

I am talking about your stance on "union endorsements", and your double standards on the issue, with regards to support of Tory by the police union, vis-a-vis that of Miller by firefighters. Nice try, however.

GB

I've been to a number of public all-candidates meetings during this campaign and I have been surprised at how often the issue of keeping a watchful eye on the police has come up. Quite frankly, based on the public sentiment that I've seen, an endorsement by the police union could be the kiss of death to a campaign. I don't think such endorsements have helped many campaigns in the past, have they? Does anyone know if they cause a stampede of support for the lucky recipients?

Back